Tung Oil Vs Tru-oil - Finish Tips Needed.

troyw

The best thing to to is use a cloth that is as a dry as possible to keep excess from soaking in. It might require several more treatments, but it won't grab as much.

Sorry - do you mean that once I wet the cloth or pad, to blot out most of the liquid and then apply? Do I need to do this with the first coat of black to darken the grain as well?

In the video I mentioned, he didn't wet the wood until after popping the grain, which is why I ask. I'm assuming this is because he sanded most of it back. Am I off here?

The idea here is NOT to get dye down into the grain holes. (it's why I suggested spray) That's where blotches on ash come from. So yes, you could get your applicator wet then ring it out. Wipe it as dry as possible, but don't leave streaks.

Even if you used stain, the same would be true. Don't use that gel stuff.

Sorry, I only use ash for furniture not guitars. Doesn't matter though because the results are the same- it's ash.

Another thing to remember is to be patient... One application will not be enough. Five might not be enough. You'll know when it looks right. Always let the surface dry COMPLETELY before attempting another application.

Blotches can be reduced by adjusting the intensity of your color. Then bring the entire surface to that intensity.

-Doug