Jackson Guitar Neck Pocket

Hi,

I'm building a custom Jackson V, a replica of a late 80's Vinnie Vincent Jackson double V. I just bought this body off EvilBay and need help fitting the neck to the body. The neck pocket was cut for an AANJ Ibanez neck, but I already have a Jackson Dinky 24-fret neck that I purchased to install on the project. Since it's a Jackson replica, I obviously want it to have a Jackson neck.

What I need to know is this: Does anyone have the dimensions of the neck pocket for a Jackson Dinky? I need to modify the neck pocket on the body I purchased to accept the Jackson neck, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forums for a neck pocket template for a Jackson, but after searching through ten pages of posts, I gave up.

Thanks,

-Roger

This neck is 2-3/16 wide, or 56mm - the same width as the Ibanez AANJ neck pocket, so it should slide in just fine. The neck I have is for a 25.5" scale.

I researched the distance from the nut to the first post on an OFR and that appears to be 25.0" for a 25.5" scale guitar (according to StewMac's fret calculator as well as a few other web sources). I'm going with an OFR that came from a Jackson Dinky, as did the neck. The neck doesn't have an angle to it and the V body I purchased was routed w/o a neck angle as well. This neck installation should be as simple as making sure the correct length is applied as the neck is adjusted in the pocket, and then bolting it in at that position. Once the neck is positioned properly to have the correct scale length I'll have to drill new holes in the neck to bolt it to body at that corrected length.

Anyone see any problems with this methodology?

Much appreciated.

-R

Since the body has been routed for the bridge already, then you'll have to make sure that the neck matches the body -- sure the neck is a 25.5" scale and so is the body --but what you'll need to determine is whether the body was cut for a 22-fret neck, a 24-fret neck, or, in your case a 24-fret with ovehang.

The easiest way to do this of course is to fit the neck to the body, put the bridge in, measure from the nut to the high E saddle -- THAT measurement needs to be exactly 25.5" .

After you've assured yourself of that, you can probably carve the jackson's heel to match the body.

That's a sweet body, hope it works out for you.

But the tremolo routes and stud locations could be for an Ibanez edge...

Measure three times and avoid dissapointment, OFR and Edges DON'T MIX.

Edited by ae3

Thanks.

I got a hold of the luthier before he sent me the body. It was routed for an OFR, not an Edge/LPE/Edge Pro. He's going to cut a body for me with a Jackson-specific neck pocket set for a 24-fret/25.5" neck. My problems are solved in one easy swat!

I'll be back in a few days with photos of all the pieces/parts when the body arrives, and I'll document assembly. My biggest pain now is the paint job. I've got to get a hold of the guys who painted my Mustang, because I want the guitar painted Ford Sonic Blue to match my car (with the shadow V in metallic silver). I figure they can paint and clear coat it super-easy for me. And they'll get a kick out of the project, since they helped me restore my 'Stang.

Cheers,

-Roger

What you could have done to get a guitar like the Vinnie is order one from this guy named ed roman. He builds that model.

Yes, I know he builds them. First, it wouldn't have the Jackson name on it, and I wanted that. This guitar will be built with 100% original Jackson hardware including the neck itself. Second, I couldn't get it from ERG for the money I spent (and I haven't heard the best things about Ed Roman guitars, either). This guitar will be completed for just under $750, I'll build it myself, and I just sold one of the guitars that's just passing through my collection for $350. Net effect is? For about $400, I'll have built a guitar no one else has. And I did it myself. :D

Cheers,

-R

Thanks.

I got a hold of the luthier before he sent me the body. It was routed for an OFR, not an Edge/LPE/Edge Pro. He's going to cut a body for me with a Jackson-specific neck pocket set for a 24-fret/25.5" neck. My problems are solved in one easy swat!

I'll be back in a few days with photos of all the pieces/parts when the body arrives, and I'll document assembly. My biggest pain now is the paint job. I've got to get a hold of the guys who painted my Mustang, because I want the guitar painted Ford Sonic Blue to match my car (with the shadow V in metallic silver). I figure they can paint and clear coat it super-easy for me. And they'll get a kick out of the project, since they helped me restore my 'Stang.

Cheers,

-Roger

If you don't mind telling, who was the luthier that you bought this from? I would like one for myself!

What you could have done to get a guitar like the Vinnie is order one from this guy named ed roman. He builds that model.

Yes, I know he builds them. First, it wouldn't have the Jackson name on it, and I wanted that. This guitar will be built with 100% original Jackson hardware including the neck itself. Second, I couldn't get it from ERG for the money I spent (and I haven't heard the best things about Ed Roman guitars, either). This guitar will be completed for just under $750, I'll build it myself, and I just sold one of the guitars that's just passing through my collection for $350. Net effect is? For about $400, I'll have built a guitar no one else has. And I did it myself. :D

Cheers,

-R

Good answer! That is why we build... cause we can't afford or get what we want. I have heard a lot of expensive horror stories about ER.

I've heard bad things too, enough to put me off even looking at ER's website.

Bluestreak, that paint scheme you were talking about (Blue and Silver) has gotten me really excited, and the fact that it will match your mustang, wow.

That's awesome.

I've heard bad things too, enough to put me off even looking at ER's website.

Bluestreak, that paint scheme you were talking about (Blue and Silver) has gotten me really excited, and the fact that it will match your mustang, wow.

That's awesome.

Thanks!

I'm at a standstill now. I have all the hardware, pieces and parts except the body. I paid him on evilBay last Sunday... I want my product! :D Actually, I just wanna put it all together so I can get it adjusted and play it before I take it off to be painted. I hate being patient!