My Emg 81 Just Died

blinkknot

So over the weekend i wanted to play a bit on my guitar with the newly installed emgs 60/81.

Started playing with the 60 and it was clear and warm as always.

When i switched over to the 81 the 'volume was almost all the way down' so i turned the know up full volume and still just a faint sound was coming from the pickup when i played. turned it all the way down, still a faint sound coming from the pickup when i played... the volume knob had no effect.

baffled i took it to the pros on monday. checked all the wiring and everything that could be checked. Everything was fine. by this time the 81 was completely dead. We unplugged the the 60 and plugged it into the 81 jack and it worked 100%. did the same with the 81 and plugged it into the 60's jack, once again, no sound. the 81 was dead.

i just want to know if it is possible for the pickup to overheat or something, cause its still under guarantee and im getting a new one and i dont want it to happen again? :D

So over the weekend i wanted to play a bit on my guitar with the newly installed emgs 60/81.

Started playing with the 60 and it was clear and warm as always.

When i switched over to the 81 the 'volume was almost all the way down' so i turned the know up full volume and still just a faint sound was coming from the pickup when i played. turned it all the way down, still a faint sound coming from the pickup when i played... the volume knob had no effect.

baffled i took it to the pros on monday. checked all the wiring and everything that could be checked. Everything was fine. by this time the 81 was completely dead. We unplugged the the 60 and plugged it into the 81 jack and it worked 100%. did the same with the 81 and plugged it into the 60's jack, once again, no sound. the 81 was dead.

i just want to know if it is possible for the pickup to overheat or something, cause its still under guarantee and im getting a new one and i dont want it to happen again? :D

sounds like the symptoms of a dead battery. i mean, i'm sure youve checked something simple like that by now, but just in case you didnt, that's my opinion

No...can't be the battery cause the other pickup worked...but good range of testing. Never heard of one failing but likely it is the preamp blowing out or something...bound to be an occasional bad one...first I have heard of one though.