1977 Flying V - Restoration? [photos]

troyw

This is my first guitar that I bought new in 1977 - As you can see, it's been well played! I am just getting back into playing again after quite a few years and wonder what, if anything I can do to this without messing with the value of the guitar.

As you can see from the photos there are quite a few nicks, dings and scratches which doesn't really bother me so much as the dingy yellowed PUPs and pickguard.

I replaced the PUPs back when I first got it and wish I'd held onto the stock ones (***, I was 17 at the time) Everything else is stock.

What would you all do with this?

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

v4.jpg

v5.jpg

v6.jpg

v7.jpg

Thanks,

Troy

NOTHING!... do not mess with it. That guitar is worth WAY more untouched!

If anything put the original PUPS back in and sit on it. New strings and cleaning is all I would do.

Buy a new faded V if you want to do stuff to it.

Edited by RestorationAD

NOTHING!... do not mess with it. That guitar is worth WAY more untouched!

If anything put the original PUPS back in and sit on it. New strings and cleaning is all I would do.

Buy a new faded V if you want to do stuff to it.

Wish I had the original PUPs - Not that I'd install them but I'd hang onto them with the guitar. Had them for a long time but it was 31 years ago that I changed them out so god only knows where they are.

I know it's worth money so I wouldn't do anything crazy to it anyway...why mess with perfection. just thought some clean up might be in order. Especially the pickgaurd.

Thanks for the reply!

Troy

I'm with Resto!

Leave that baby alone.

The yellowing on the scratch plate is just there to remind you that she's a REAL orginal.

Don't let anyone convince you to refinish it or buff out the scratches or bleach the pickguard...all those things are bad ideas on a classic like that.

Wipe her down with a rag and put her back in a case under the bed.

If you're gonna start playing again get something else for bashing around on and only bring her out on special occasions (not went your drunk...that's went the dings seem to majically apear!).

Wait and see what she's worth on you 60th birthday...you'll be glad ya did.

She's a beauty! I wish I had one just like it.

Edited by Southbound

Get yourself a toothbrush, some lemon oil and a soft cloth and let that baby's fingerboard shine! You can also gently whipe any fingerprints away with a slightly damp cloth. Other than that, definately preserve the natural beauty of those aged parts. Aged = authentic. I say gently clean her and love her for what she is :D

Well, this is certainly not gonna be the favorite answer by most, but I say do whatever you want to it. Now, that will might kill it's value to collectors, but that's your first guitar, if you love it you should make it personal. If that means paint it, buff it, change the electronics or whatever, or even just leave it as is, do what makes it awesome in your eyes. :D

Well, this is certainly not gonna be the favorite answer by most, but I say do whatever you want to it. Now, that will might kill it's value to collectors, but that's your first guitar, if you love it you should make it personal. If that means paint it, buff it, change the electronics or whatever, or even just leave it as is, do what makes it awesome in your eyes. :D

These are not the droids you are looking for....

<opinion> It may be yours but modifying vintage instruments usually leads to heartbreak. </opinion>

What would you all do with this?

absolutely nothing at all, i would even accept the change in pickups as being OK since they are contemporary to the guitar

obviously you can do what ever you want with it like has been suggested, but that just doesnt make economical sense and you would regret it at some point... if you did want to try something it would be worth selling this to buy a few new V's do do crazy things to

what pickups did you put in, it may be that they have some value too

Guys - I'm not or never planned to do any "restoration" I like it as is...I just wanted to see about clean up...guess I titled this post wrong.

Wez - The replacement PUPs are a Dimarzio super distortion on the bridge and PAF in the neck.

Southbound - I'm starting to think you're right...I've got it sitting on a stand in the living room....never gave it a second thought but after the posts,I'm wondering it I shouldn't lock it up somewhere. I'm working on a strat build right now so that will be my "bang around" guitar once I get it done. This one is going back in the case.

I would do fret-work if needed. Swap pickups if needed (need a good amp to even justify doing that). Nut work and setup, if needed. I'd probably flush the pots with deoxit.

As for the "do whatever you want" comment (as far as guitar mods go), well, I used to give myself advice like that 20 years ago, and have been haunted by the outcome of that, ever since.

I wouldn't go crazy with any kind of oil or cleaner. Lightly damp (water) rag to start (on undamaged paint areas). Damp (naptha) for whatever the damp water wouldn't take care of.

Naptha for a good bridge cleaning (with bridge off the guitar)