Rail Humbucker Recommendation?

troyw

I used to have a strat with a SD Hot Rail and it was pretty nice. I like all the SD pickups I've ever played.

You might also look into Bill & Becky Lawrence's Wylde pickups. All of them have rails rather than single pole pieces and are fairly priced. One caution: being a mom and pops establishment, ordering is as smooth as a corncob.

I used to have a strat with a SD Hot Rail and it was pretty nice. I like all the SD pickups I've ever played.

You might also look into Bill & Becky Lawrence's Wylde pickups. All of them have rails rather than single pole pieces and are fairly priced. One caution: being a mom and pops establishment, ordering is as smooth as a corncob.

How about the Bill Lawrence wylde L-45S? Anyone have or used these?

Anyone know how the Wyldes stack up against the SD or GFS rail humbuckers?

Edited by troyw

Hard rock and blues you could go with either the Cool or Hot Rails. Take a listen to the sound clips and see what you like. Is there any reason why you want a rail pickup and not a pole piece? You might want to take a look at the Duckbuckers as well. They have a really nice tone, are a split rail design SC humbucker and sound surpisingly good even at high gain. They give a lot more output than I expected and have a glassy clean tone.

Hard rock and blues you could go with either the Cool or Hot Rails. Take a listen to the sound clips and see what you like. Is there any reason why you want a rail pickup and not a pole piece? You might want to take a look at the Duckbuckers as well. They have a really nice tone, are a split rail design SC humbucker and sound surpisingly good even at high gain. They give a lot more output than I expected and have a glassy clean tone.

Pole pieces are file...I'm just looking for a good humbucker sound in a single coil size. Also something cost effective since i've already spent some cash on this build.

Bill & Becky Lawrence... ordering is as smooth as a corncob.

I couldn't disagree more. When I wanted some tele pups for my first build, I gave them a call. Becky was thorough and very informative. I placed the order that day, and they arived pretty quickly. Maybe IPA had a bad experience, but mine was outstanding.

As for pup choice, it's really tied to price. You can get some for $100/each, or you can find them for $15/each, both brand new. Sometimes you can tell a significant difference, sometimes you really can't. My suggestion would be decide on what you're willing to pay, then do some homework on those that fall in that range.

Bill & Becky Lawrence... ordering is as smooth as a corncob.

I couldn't disagree more. When I wanted some tele pups for my first build, I gave them a call. Becky was thorough and very informative. I placed the order that day, and they arived pretty quickly. Maybe IPA had a bad experience, but mine was outstanding.

As for pup choice, it's really tied to price. You can get some for $100/each, or you can find them for $15/each, both brand new. Sometimes you can tell a significant difference, sometimes you really can't. My suggestion would be decide on what you're willing to pay, then do some homework on those that fall in that range.

Yeah, I'd like to keep it under 50 if I can since i've already spent a bit of money on this build. I was recently told that the L-45s is not a humbucker sound but more of a no noise single coil sound...true?

Depends - what does the description of the pup say? I can't access the site at work, so I can't comment directly on the description, but I CAN add this...

Bill Lawrence designed the "noiseless single coil" for Fender, and holds the patent for Fender's version of them. They are stacked single coils, not humbuckers. They have MOST of the s/c twang, but with the stacked coils, there is a hint of HB in there. It's just the nature of the beast - you can't have it both ways.

If the description of the pups say "noisless single coil", then that's what they are. If it says that they're rail HBs or HBs in a s/c size or something similar, then they're what you're looking for.

FWIW: I personally think that Bill's pups are extremely good. You'll not find their level of quality for a better price. The main drawback is that you have to order them directly from them, so there's virtually no way to get a sound comparison.

Depends - what does the description of the pup say? I can't access the site at work, so I can't comment directly on the description, but I CAN add this...

Here is the info from the site...

The L-45S is Bill's twin blade masterpiece -- reincarnated from his classic design dating back to the mid '70's!

The gleaming stainless steel blades guide a tightly focused magnetic window in a perfectly structured Alnico 5 circuit for unparaled accuracy and with low magnetic attraction and complete immunity to noise. The pickup is responsive to the finest nuances in playing technique, smoothly balanced from crisp highs down to a detailed, powerful low end.

The L-45 excels in clarity and definition to let it shine with clean tones or high gain and dense effects.

l45sblacksm.jpg

Bill's L-45S Single Coil Size Humbuckers - $46.00

Available in Black or White Covers

I have been reading about Bill's PUPs and it sounds like they're awesome. But I do want the dirty HB sound. :D

Well, that settles the question of are they rails or not. :D I think you'd be very happy with a set of BL's pups.

I also think getting the crunch wouldn't be a problem at all. Part of the basic function of a HB over a SC is more power. They drive the amp harder, making the distortion easier to generate.

Well, that settles the question of are they rails or not. :D I think you'd be very happy with a set of BL's pups.

I also think getting the crunch wouldn't be a problem at all. Part of the basic function of a HB over a SC is more power. They drive the amp harder, making the distortion easier to generate.

Yeah and what a great price for a quality product! The only thing I've seen competitive price wise are the GFS pups. I'll probably go for the BL - wish I could hear a sound byte somewhere.

Thanks avenger! :D

That's what we're all here for.

FWIW: The GFS pups are made by a Chinese company called Artec. There are a lot of eBay sellers that sell the exact same pups as GFS, and at a lot better price. A lot of folks here have used them and said they sounded pretty good. I have two sets waiting to go into two different builds, but I haven't put them in yet so I can't personally testify. That being said, I'm 100% confident that BL's pups are dramatically better than Artec's.

That's what we're all here for.

FWIW: The GFS pups are made by a Chinese company called Artec. There are a lot of eBay sellers that sell the exact same pups as GFS, and at a lot better price. A lot of folks here have used them and said they sounded pretty good. I have two sets waiting to go into two different builds, but I haven't put them in yet so I can't personally testify. That being said, I'm 100% confident that BL's pups are dramatically better than Artec's.

Yes, I did read that and have seen the Artec Alnico 5 Hot Rail all over e-bay at about $19 - kind of hard to swallow that they'd be worth a crap but I have read good things about the GFS PUPs and have also read that they're the same as the artec so there you have it!

Sill leaning toward the "wyldes" but the price of the artec does make them appealing When you think I could get two for the same price. I'm not planning on doing any sound comparisons or busting out a spectrum analyzer once they're in...I just want a ballsey strat without doing the full HB conversion right now.

When you're on a budget, it's really hard to pass up the inexpensive items that have had pretty decent reviews. A set of 3 Artec for $50-$60 vs. $50 each for the BL's can be a consideration.

I'm not helping anymore, am I? :D

Yeah - thanks a ton! LOL

Honestly, I think having the mid and neck as single coil could have it's advantages. this would give me more flexibility sound wise I think. I've always been a Gibson player so I do like that fatter sound but it would be cool to have all the based covered. My other Guitar is the Flying V I posted here a while back (1977) and I am probably not going to have that out too much. This build will be my most played electric so it would be nice to have options as far as tone.

In the old days, I mostly played hard rock but as I get older, I'm feeling more bluesy... :D

And that's why I don't pay too much attention to Harmony Central. The output of this pickup is better than my beloved X2N.... A strat-blade-bucker hotter than an X2N? Not bloody likely!

I guess I'm pretty jaded. Anytime I see a product with ONE review and it's all 10's, it looks like a rep from the company rying to sell it through the reviews. Then I see something crazy like that quote and it helps solidify my suspicions.