Can Anybody Recreate This Finish?

Filback

Yes it's very possible to do something like that. It appears to be a larger metal flake with a burst. Judging by the lack of flake in the black I'm guessin' they shot the blue, masked the edge area, shot the flake, then unmasked and did the black. Just my guess though.

To my eye, it looks like blue base under a sliver flake then a transparent black burst.

There are lots of ways to do it depending on exactly what result you want and the $$ you are looking to spend.

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

Still needs another clear session and leveled and polished.

Edited by syxxstring

To my eye, it looks like blue base under a sliver flake then a transparent black burst.

There are lots of ways to do it depending on exactly what result you want and the $$ you are looking to spend.

Still needs another clear session and leveled and polished.

Good job!! Well, I want something exactly like the pic I showed you. How much do you think I would have to spend?

The guitar has more than one shade of blue. Or is is just the black that makes the blue look darker?

It looks as if they painted the blue. Flaked it only on the center and then painted the edges black. But the black layers over the blue on the edges.

Just my idea.

Edited by Filback

Being an auto refinisher by trade i can set u straight on this one,the blue base was painted first,ten a thin coat of a large primatic flake mixed with a see through binder was applied(only one or two light coats,which gives it a transluscent effect)and then the black burst around the edge,and finally two to three coats of clear,hope this helps.

To do the white/silver splatter why not just put paint on a toothbrush and slide your thumb across the bristles to flick the paint on. Should be easier then faffing with a spray gun, but just an idea.

The problem with spattering, either using something like a toothbrush as you suggested, or an airbrush, is that the spatter can be very uneven and you can end up with lots of little 'streaks' in amongst your spattering, not a pretty effect as a rule.

I think metz guitar paint is on the money with this one as to how it was done. It's a very easy effect to re-create so you should have no problem getting a decent sprayer to do it for you.

Jim :D

The problem is it's not a spatter technique at all. Its a flake or effect paint like HOK's Metajules.

Simple if your used to spraying flake, but flake is at least 2 sessions, not 2 coats, of clear to be able to bury and then level sand and polish. There are some other tricks to it as well. Plus lots of extra time cleaning the booth because flake goes everywhere, spray it outside a booth and you'll be finding it for years.

You really see how much flake there is in this pic:

Petrucci_Blue_Dawn_Sparkle_1.jpg

Edited by syxxstring

The problem is it's not a spatter technique at all. Its a flake or effect paint like HOK's Metajules.

Simple if your used to spraying flake, but flake is at least 2 sessions, not 2 coats, of clear to be able to bury and then level sand and polish. There are some other tricks to it as well. Plus lots of extra time cleaning the booth because flake goes everywhere, spray it outside a booth and you'll be finding it for years.

Thought I might add that when I use these larger flakes I apply two coats of HS clear then once cured, I rub it back flat with 800 grit paper and reapply one wet coat of clear this is referred to as flowcoating.Flowcoating gives a mirror flat finish straight off the gun as all of this flattening off and polishing just seems too time consuming to me.

Thought I might add that when I use these larger flakes I apply two coats of HS clear then once cured, I rub it back flat with 800 grit paper and reapply one wet coat of clear this is referred to as flowcoating.Flowcoating gives a mirror flat finish straight off the gun as all of this flattening off and polishing just seems too time consuming to me.

I agree depending on how the finish lays out. I aim for not needing to do much work but build the possibility into my plan, otherwise I promise things on too agressive of a schedule and guarantee a run. The guitar I posted earlier has 2 sizes of silver flake then Nightmare Blue Autoair, then a blue flake, so lots to bury. It looks so good in light and photographs like poo. (course my camera skills suck too)