Freud Router, Any Opinions?

anderekel

So, woodcraft has this router http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1702VCEK-4-H...r/dp/B000REMAJI for like 130 in their in store sales thing through the end of february. The two reviews on amazon.com suck, I searched and there's some positive reviews too. Just curious if anyone has one or has used one and would share their thoughts on it. Thanks for the help :D

So, woodcraft has this router http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1702VCEK-4-H...r/dp/B000REMAJI for like 130 in their in store sales thing through the end of February. The two reviews on amazon.com suck, I searched and there's some positive reviews too. Just curious if anyone has one or has used one and would share their thoughts on it. Thanks for the help :D

Well its a good price except it was $99 at Lowe's about a week ago since expired. From what I have been able to find in the last 5 minutes is that the plunge base is garbage. Most people have returned the router. You would think Freud would not sell a plunge base that falls apart. I was going to write that most high end routers are pretty much the same only the features and their ability to adapt to other third parts jigs and bases is the difference. But I guess I am wrong on this one.

Sounds like this is a tool to avoid since I found several comments on woodworking forums confirming the Amazon reviews.

Discussion Link to the Freud

But if you want a deal then look at this. Industry standard Porter Cable 690 for $91 at Amazon

PC 690 $91 Amazon New

However the Plunge base is not on sale and a kit at this point in time is cheaper $183 at Amazon, and you may be able to find this kit cheaper on a google price search.

690 Kit $183 (free shipping no tax) at Amazon

I have seen the base on sale at Amazon. But for a $54 difference over the Freud you are thinking about (probaby less minus the tax you dont pay). This router fits in almost every 3rd party router and router table base plate, Over Arm router fixture (Grizzly) and CNC mill (all). In addition the parts for this router have been available for more than a decade and it is a proven performer. If you dont need the plunge feature its an even better deal.