Ergonomic Considerations For Small Scale Guitar

I built a 2/3 scale 4 string guitar this past summer, which I really enjoyed building, and have decided to make another for my future child. I learned quite a bit on the first build, but have been pondering a few questions that perhaps someone has a concrete answer to or maybe this can spark a discussion.

First off, with regards to fingerboard radius; How does a tighter or flatter radius effect a person with small hands (child)? Is there a ground rule for this, or does anyone have opinions based on experience?

Also, string spacing. It seems to me that narrow string spacing at the nut would be best for small hands, while having standard string spacing at the bridge would make for easier picking for those of less developed coordination. Does this seem reasonable? What production guitars have the narrowest string spacing at the nut? You mostly just see standard Fender and Gibson info floating around as far as this goes.

Does anyone else have anything that might be of obvious concern when designing a small guitar?

I built a 2/3 scale 4 string guitar this past summer, which I really enjoyed building, and have decided to make another for my future child. I learned quite a bit on the first build, but have been pondering a few questions that perhaps someone has a concrete answer to or maybe this can spark a discussion.

First off, with regards to fingerboard radius; How does a tighter or flatter radius effect a person with small hands (child)? Is there a ground rule for this, or does anyone have opinions based on experience?

Also, string spacing. It seems to me that narrow string spacing at the nut would be best for small hands, while having standard string spacing at the bridge would make for easier picking for those of less developed coordination. Does this seem reasonable? What production guitars have the narrowest string spacing at the nut? You mostly just see standard Fender and Gibson info floating around as far as this goes.

Does anyone else have anything that might be of obvious concern when designing a small guitar?

I recently finished a 19.5" scale for my son who is 8. The radius is probably around 12", and bridge and nut are standard spacing (probably equal to a Strat) and he has no problem playing it.

I'm a piano technician and I've noticed that kids under five or so often have very strong pitch memory, or 'perfect pitch' as people usually say. I played a friends (gibson?) short scale flying V and though it's made with good components, it sounds dreadful and was untunable, even by me (and I'm a decent guitar tech too). Now, maybe for some reason, the one you made can be tuned and played 'in tune', but I'm skeptical. It seems to me that shortening the scale only makes playing up and down the neck on a single string easier (Yngwe?), while making the neck slimmer or narrower would make chording and cross neck intervals easier, which is what most beginning guitar technique consists of. I guess I'm saying that I'd only shorten the scale as much as can be without losing pitch integrity, to fit the young ears, and go for a narrower, slimmer neck to fit the small hands.

You'll notice on YouTube that a lot of the really young kids are still playing full sized guitars. I would worry more about making the neck thinner and narrower and keep the scale somewhat reasonable still. Maybe a 24" or so. If needed make a smaller body, with the bridge closer to the tail, similar to a bass. That will push the neck further into the body and make for less of a reach.

I'd go with a mustang-esque 22.5 scale - short enough to make first position barre chords a little easier for small hands, but a size that still holds it's own when the player is full-grown. But then again, I just love me a Fender Mustang.