The Cool Wood Thread

Fuzz- Thanks! That's a friend of mine, Michael Vance playing the guitar. He plays sessions in Nashville, and I let him try out my guitars in the studio from time to time.

Jason- That's pretty! I'm guessing it's quartersawn, because it shows the same flake as QS maple. Never seen Ziricote that close before.

Heres a glued up blank of yellow poplar with staining from sapsucker holes-

poplar.jpg

Edited by orgmorg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orgmorg-Yeah, its quarter sawn. Love that stuff, and I know what you mean about having that same fleck as QS maple. I don't know with ziricote if this is a common trait or not, but I have seen it in quite a few pieces, but then again I've seen some without it. Beautiful stuff either way. If you saw the sap wood up close you would probably have a tough time distinguishing it from maple because it carries some of that same fleck and the color is very close.

I always dig the woods you use and the projects you post here. That weathered Tupelo is awesome looking, I know that'll make for a killer project. Look forward to seeing what you got coming next. J

• 2 weeks later...
That mahogany is amazing, Quarter!

It was plain dumb luck to find it, needless to say I was quite tickled.

Cool thing is the place I found it, LSV Hardwood, does not charge extra for figured wood and will cut and sell short sections off a longer board as long as the remaining piece is at least 8'. I got that piece and this crotch piece for $35, about 7 bf total.

mahogany3.jpg

No...cocobolo is a Mexican rosewood, family of the Dalbergia. Both are beautiful, though!

I think he quoted the wrong post...this one

Guess I should show this lovely piece of Siam Rosewood off here!

I think this is what he meant...at least that is the only thing I can think of.

Not just me who thought that then! :D

bocote.jpg

Some shorter pieces of bocote waiting for a small project.

cocobolo.jpg

Some even shorter pieces of cocobolo with some thins waiting for an even smaller project.

100_0375.jpg

And can anyone ID these for me? I got them in a box of cutoffs. They're really dense and heavy. They're a little darker brown than pictured. The grain is really tight, so it sands/polishes up to a pretty nice sheen.

bocote.jpg

Some shorter pieces of bocote waiting for a small project.

cocobolo.jpg

Some even shorter pieces of cocobolo with some thins waiting for an even smaller project.

100_0375.jpg

And can anyone ID these for me? I got them in a box of cutoffs. They're really dense and heavy. They're a little darker brown than pictured. The grain is really tight, so it sands/polishes up to a pretty nice sheen.

Avengers63,

That looks like black walnut to me. I use quite a bit of it, it grows like crazy here in upstate NY. Nice wood, somewhat difficult to dry.

Makes nice looking and sounding guitars.

-John