The Cool Wood Thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad,

You do know that teak has a very high oil content (it doesn't last 100 year underwater for no reason!) is very difficult to join due to this.

Over here it costs less than $20 per 1m of 10cm x 10cm. Carvings and furniture definately . . . as for guitars there is a reason why there ain't teak guitars everywhere! :D

No S**t! Thanks for the heads up! I might have to turn it into something else then. That is interesting though because on this website Aus tonewoods

Its in the list of tonewoods. I might ask the lads at the local joinery what they think about joining it. Have you ever used any SJE for any form of woodworking?

I am surprised it's on a tonewood list . . . but then again in reality any wood is tone wood as they all have some tone.

Personally I've never used it - but some people who I know who have in general rule is clean the excess oil off with Acetone and then use an epoxy opposed to wood glue.

:D

I am surprised it's on a tonewood list . . . but then again in reality any wood is tone wood as they all have some tone.

Personally I've never used it - but some people who I know who have in general rule is clean the excess oil off with Acetone and then use an epoxy opposed to wood glue.

:D

Mate this particular piece rings out like a gong! I have never heard anything like it. I have a piece of tassie blackwood which has a nice taptone but this piece of teak just sings!Half the reason why i bought it. I was originally gonna make another Semi hollow like mine out of it for my mate, but he is travelling at the moment and can't afford a new guitar. I think ill research its gluing capabilities abit.

Cheers SJE!

Chad.