Glue In Frets Or Not? What Do You Do?

Well, as an attempt at keeping this on-topic, so am I. Very reliable instruments off the line when you buy a little further up the models. My RBX-775 got a refret to stainless after I killed the hell out of the NS frets with steel strings a decade or so ago. The Rosewood didn't take the new frets well; I suspect that this was a case of my hammering not being ideal. I decided instead to swap the entire board out for a piece of Ziricote I had on hand and fret from scratch. This also allowed me to add in a zero fret.

In hindsight, I could have kept the original board and glued in the SS frets. Perhaps I should have done; not that the bass is worse for me having modified it! I figure it was a waste of a perfectly serviceable board had I gone about it differently.

Last slightly off topic post regarding Yamaha's I have an SG300 that needs a bit of attention to the frets, but as it's my baby, I'd send it to a professional. I don't dare ruin it.

Years ago I found an old RBX-800a on a council cleanup. It's a bit rough around the edges but still functional. Score! Just needs a couple of missing/snapped screws in the bridge, and a snapped pot shaft that needs replacing.

Also saw a hardcase on another council cleanup pile. I almost pulled a handbrake turn for that one! Pulled up, opened the case, and there's a yamaha acoustic with tarnished frets & rusty strings!

Took it home, polished it up & restrung it. Beautiful! I never checked what model it was, but I sold it to a workmate for $100.

It's amazing the things people throw away - I'm constantly driving slowly whenever it's council cleanup time. Wife hates it!

Had an old Yamaha 12 string hummingbird copy when I was in school as well. Dunno why I sold it...

Anyway enough of that Yamaha love..., thanks for the tip on that deadblow hammer and superglue info., Prostheta

For your issue i would recommend using thin super glue and a press. Half a drop of super glue at the fret end, press it down, wipe away excess glue with a acetone rag, let set. Any glue dribble can be carefully scrape away with a sharp razor blade. All of this should of cause in a perfect word be tested on scrap as it takes a bit of skill to do it... All necessary precautions apply etc...

What he said, although not all superglues are made even. You need a slow drying superglue or it'll start setting before you even get your acetone dampened rag near to clean it up. When I say slow drying, it won't be written on the packet, you just need to trial and error different brands as to which ones are slow and fast.

• Like 1