Inlays, Scalloping And Re Finish Question

Dylanwad

Generally speaking, how deep are bog standard black dot inlays? I was playing with the idea of scalloping the last four frets on my project but I'm afraid to go too deep.

The neck is maple with a maple fretboard finished in some sort of satin finish. I am finishing the body with tru oil, would I be able to re finish just the four frets with tru oil and get a similar finish to the satin spary job or is it a case of re finishing the whole neck?

Thanks CainMD. Which RG have you got? I have a 1990 desert yellow with matching headstock I bought in '91. I'll never sell it, it's been battered by too many gigs but I still love it.

Can any one help with the tru oil part of the question. If I re finish the scallopes with tru oil can I match it to the sprayed satin effect of the rest of the neck?

Edited by Dylanwad

i just got a beater rg270(from 1997) for 100 bucks and made it a jem. don't relly know about the second part. what i can say is when i scalloped the frets afterwards the neck looked dull. To remedy that i just sanded it with 1200 grit and threw some lem oil on it. i'll throw a pic of the inlays up later.

Edited by CainMD

Thanks CainMD. Which RG have you got? I have a 1990 desert yellow with matching headstock I bought in '91. I'll never sell it, it's been battered by too many gigs but I still love it.

Can any one help with the tru oil part of the question. If I re finish the scallopes with tru oil can I match it to the sprayed satin effect of the rest of the neck?

The best way to figure that out is to test it on something and compare. You can create sort of a satin finish with TruOil, if you don't use too many coats.

I scalloped my rg250DX all the way to the 12th fret with just a little way before the fingerboard met the maple.

th_P1140034.jpg

As you can see, the inlays are perfectly in tact. So I think this concludes that Ibanez RGs have pretty thick inlays. However, on my GRX20 (the test guitar) when I did the same job, I found the bottom of the dot inlays about half way through the fretboard. I personally don't go past the side post position markers when I do this job for anyone else, just as a rule of thumb.

• 2 months later...