Help: Grey Flame Maple Top Finish And What Inlays To Use

gtrplyr

ok first off, im new here and i dont even know if im going to make a guitar or not. i really want to but im 15 and know only basic things about woodworking. my dad is the one that would show me how to do this kind of stuff and even he doesnt think he would be able to make a guitar. do u think i should go for it or should i take another shop class next year before i start this?

if i were to make one, my body is going to have a flame maple top with this finish. i dont know how to make it look just like that, if you have seen it in person (its a schecter c-1 plus that i took into photoshop and made it grey) youll know it has a thick layer of gloss (is that what its called?). youll also notice it has that black outline around it that fades into the flame maple top. does anyone know how i can get it to look just like this?

or do you think i should go a different route and get a different finish or paintjob. i want something unique, even tho the flame maple top isnt all that unique i really like it.

also, is there a site anywhere that has inlay previews? ive been looking for a simple inlay that i like and the only one i like is the simple/boring dot inlays. maybe ill just go with that. or make my own if i figure out how to do that.

thanks for the help :D:D

ok first off, im new here and i dont even know if im going to make a guitar or not. i really want to but im 15 and know only basic things about woodworking. my dad is the one that would show me how to do this kind of stuff and even he doesnt think he would be able to make a guitar. do u think i should go for it or should i take another shop class next year before i start this?

I haven't been here long myself, but Welcome. Nothing wrong with taking some more shop either way you go, always something new and cool to learn.

if i were to make one, my body is going to have a flame maple top with this finish. i dont know how to make it look just like that, if you have seen it in person (its a schecter c-1 plus that i took into photoshop and made it grey) youll know it has a thick layer of gloss (is that what its called?). youll also notice it has that black outline around it that fades into the flame maple top. does anyone know how i can get it to look just like this?

Yeah gloss, most of the time referred to as a clear coat. That finish is pretty easy to do, seems like just a black to transblack burst.

or do you think i should go a different route and get a different finish or paintjob. i want something unique, even tho the flame maple top isnt all that unique i really like it.

also, is there a site anywhere that has inlay previews? ive been looking for a simple inlay that i like and the only one i like is the simple/boring dot inlays. maybe ill just go with that. or make my own if i figure out how to do that.

thanks for the help :D:D

Do the finish you want to do, it's a very easy one. As for the inlays anything is possible really. You can have anything made for you nowadays. Stew Mac has some pre cut ones for sale.

I'll be the first to say it, and no doubt many other people here will tell you to check out Melvyn Hiscock's book Make Your Own Electric Guitar. It'll help you out greatly if you're just getting into building.

if you think your interested and have access to minimal tools needed to accomplish a strong effort; go for it;

you will prolly be dissapointed in your first attempt (or pleasently surprised) but once you start cutting and running into problems and all the other things that come with building....anything; you really start to relate to the information coming at you, and each project is an excersise in practicing your up to date common sense ;

everyone preaches the Hiscock book; and it was a staple in our class; but its not until you start cutting that you understand the importance of every. single. step.

do you think i should start off making a guitar out of scrap wood? i wouldnt put electronics in it or anything of course but just to get the idea before i go and mess up a nice piece of mahogany. or should i just go for it? also, should i really get that book? i dont really want to have to pay 25 bucks for it. is there anywhere online that its in ebook form?

that finish doesn't look that hard, i have an esp viper with the same deal. just dye it black then sand off the parts you want to see the flame top (somewhat of a burst) then clearcoat it. i'd say if you have the tools go for it.

PS i think this site has pretty much everything you need to know about what you want to do.

ya this site is going to help a lot. if its ok with the admin here i was thinking of making one thread on just helping me make my own guitar and i would update questions as i go along. like if i needed help on cutting the wood i would update it and then all you smart people could help me out with it.

i like black burst finishes

the way that works well for me is having the burst built up with black tinted lacquer. if you try and spray the burst in one go it doesnt have a nice transition wheras building it up in thin greyer coats allows for a much more light reactive and subtle finish

this is one done for me by my cousin and its very light reactive

looking nearly black with the light behind it:

XL800987.jpg

average light:

8-1.jpg

bright light:

XL800938.jpg

i like black burst finishes

the way that works well for me is having the burst built up with black tinted lacquer. if you try and spray the burst in one go it doesnt have a nice transition wheras building it up in thin greyer coats allows for a much more light reactive and subtle finish

this is one done for me by my cousin and its very light reactive

looking nearly black with the light behind it:

XL800987.jpg

average light:

8-1.jpg

bright light:

XL800938.jpg

does that finish look blue or is that just me? maybe its just the lighting. sweet guitar tho :D

before the black we did have it another colour

IMG_0447.jpg

my cousin is colourblind and had no idea that wasnt black. :D

you can see the purple in the cavities but i assure you the top was stripped back completely, the first two pics are more represenative of the colour in everyday use, what you are seeing as blue in the last photo is the reflection of sky

his wife noticed and commented that she liked the purple guitar, he was a bit shocked. this was after that as he then did the black burst over purple to see if i liked it like that. i nearly went with it but am glad i didnt as the normal black burst is a lot nicer

I would say to start with a poplar or basswood body and simple painted guitar. That way you get a feel for the building. Those two woods are cheap and easy to work, but are common tone woods. If the guitar turns out nice, you have a player. If not, you have fire wood, but it is cheap fire wood.

As for inlays, I really like the notched diamond inlays. They are easy to do, and look different (and I think better) than dots. Stewmacs website shows the pictures and sizes of the inlays they sell.

• 1 month later...

definately take the rest of your woods classes. that helped me a LOT. but if you have the tools and you read the tutorials and forums a lot, and you have the time and drive to build. im sure you can do the job with a lot of patience. as for starting on scrap DEFINATELY start on a scrap project. thats what i did and i came up with this guitar

l_68132867934f44918c861c1bbfa97965.jpg

its not hard to do, it was fun too. plays and sounds great. so you'll just have to invest in some basic tools like a router and what not. then just go for the project :D Good luck! :D

Lots of good advice so far. I'd just re enforce the suggestion to take more wood shop regardless of when you start the guitar.

The most common thing for a first time builder is to over think the whole deal and design and plan the "ultimate" guitar.

Much time is spent obsessing over subtle choices in wood(s), hardware, and other bits.

Quite often, in the time wasted in over thinking things, you could have built 2 guitars.

I'd suggest that for your first one, pick something simple and just jump into it. A flat top Jr, Tele, Strat, or something.

You are young and have plenty of time to build your ultimate guitar. Use your time now to learn the basics and develop your skill set.

the best advice I can give is for a first build don't expect to build a "saleable" guitar - but if you do manage it congrats & well done. having access to the tools & somewhere to work is half the battle (I made my 1st guitar (fixed next SG) with minimal woodworking or power tools (electric drill). I was happy with the result for a 1st attempt but have since stripped the finish & fretboard off & plan on redoing them (when I get the time!!!!)

The only other advice is to find out as much about guitars & guitar construction as possible (here is about as good a place as any as you access to everyones mistakes as well as tricks) but as Quarter says K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid! Use cheaper timber that way if you have to scrap the project you haven't lost a lot of cash (remember there's a credit crunch....lol)

even building a "Parts-ocaster" can give you relevent experience.

but at then end of the day - enjoy what you do - if you are enjoying it you'll make less mistakes because you'll be concentrating more & take more care.

sb