Is There Any Way To Make It So I Can Sing Into My Pickups Like In This

gtrplyr

I can't get Youtube here at work - but if the effect is what I'm imagining, it's simply very very microphonic pickups. I've had pairs that did that before. Basically, when the coil of wire is wound around a pickup, if it's wound fairly loose, the coils will vibrate with air pressure. At high amp volumes, this produces feedback (usually not the kind you get from your strings, but the kind you get from a microphone that's too close to the PA) Generally this is undesirable, but some feel that a slight bit of this microphonic tendency adds to the character of certain pickups. (Depending on how the pickup is made, these microphonics can be quite pronounced and render the pickup unusable, but in less extreme cases, it's believed that the motion of the coils picks up a bit of the guitars vibration) In the worst cases, it takes so little to make the coil move, that yelling into the pickup under high gain produces sound out the amp.

Most modern pickups, even the cheapest as of late, it seems, are either wound under enough tension that this is not a problem, or the coils are potted in wax, epoxy or lacquer to prevent unwanted microphonics. Most coils are machine wound these days, so a fair amount of consistency is relatively cheap to obtain. The boutique pickup makers that specialize in hand-wound pickups generally are shooting for a more high-quality product.

I had a friend who once had a junky no-name guitar that had these type of pickups - I eventually replaced the bridge pickup, but he left the neck pickup as is for the purpose of doing just this.

If the effect in the video is what I suspect and have explained, the easiest route is going to be to pull the pickups from a junky instrument that already does this, or wind your own pickup with a very loose coil.

Confirmative. It’s an extremely microphonic pickup we're dealing with here. If you start to look for one, start with a humbucker with cover. And try to find one that isn't potted. The potting kills the microphonics. Or get a cheap HB without a cover and add one (without potting it afterwards of cause). Might work

haha will do, hopefully emg covers come off cuz i want my pickups to match

Metalic cover! Sorry for any confusion. The cover act more or less as a membrane

The unfortunate thing about really microphonic pickups is that they squeal and feedback like a son of a gun with any kind of distortion. It's a double edged sword... :D

hmmm

i had an idea today, but i dont know if it will work. for all you microphonic pickup geniuses, do you know if its only possible for a pickup to be microphonic if its humbucking or can this be done with a single coil? if it can be done with a single coil pickup then my guitar build would be H-S-H and i would only use the singlecoil for such purpose.

It can happen with any pickup. It is just the result of a poor quality pickup. SC or HB doesn't matter. But you'll need to watch your switching with a HSH configuration. If you have a 5 way switch that bad pikup will be mixed into the 2 and 4 positions with the bridge or neck pickup and cause the unwanted squeeling. I would go with a 3 way switch for the two HB's and then a mini toggle to add in the SC for microphonic effect only when wanted.

Hmmm...I'm not sure how John's does it...but there would be an easier way to get the effect...

Pull apart a cheapo dynamic mic perhaps and put the mic membrane/capsule bit in under the neck pickup and run it through to the output jack, preferably with a switch to turn it off and stop the squealing. With the mic going through a guitar amp it will be suitably distorted! I wouldn't be surprised if this is the kind of "cheat" going on anyway inside the guitar, it would probably be more reliable. A piezo would work too, but you would need some kind of preamp to prevent loading.

Just a thought...if you must!

pete