Coolest Body Shapes

I guess i'll just list off the ones I've always wanted

King V

Rhoads V

Double Rhoads V

Reciently I've wanted to build a Les Paul style, and I wanted to do it professionally with a flame maple top, black - amber/black - white/black burst.

A while ago, I wanted an explorer/warrior/ML, but the treble horn on all 3 of them has always turned me away after playing them.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't going to rant about it but... since you asked and you are a mod, here goes....

Obviously, it has a flame maple cap. The guy I bought it from said the back was ash but it looks like alder to me. The neck is solid macassar ebony, which is fantastic. (I have since started to retrofit my other guitars with it) It has Duncan black back pickups, Sperzel tuners, Tone Pros bridge and tailpeice and push/pull pots. It gets a full range of sounds from a tele to a les paul and everything in between. I now have three of these and have unloaded my Custom 24 and Modern Eagle... which don't even come close to these. I know Ed Roman gets bashed a lot for various reasons, but I have to say, he builds an awesome guitar!

know Ed Roman gets bashed a lot for various reasons, but I have to say, he builds an awesome guitar!

Romen does not build these...he has people with talent that do it for him.

neither does Leo Fender, Paul Reed Smith or Les Paul....

Both Leo and Paul started out building them on their own, I don't believe Ed ever built one. And Les is a player that Gibson built a model for/after, there was never any suggestion that he did build.

Some cool shapes in the last few posts, the Schecter and Roman look lush, I am trying to give a flying *%#@ who makes them, mmm no it's not working. If you want someone to respect that really was responsible it would have to be Leo, that man had talent and vision.

I have never met a V I didn't like, especially the new one George Lynch endorses, except this one

reverse_flying_v1.jpg

I like my Roman Quicksilver

I don't see where that's significantly different from a Strat shape.

I like the look of some of Zachary's designs too. But when you see someone holding one, they always look too small to be comfortable.

Anyone mention Scott French's designs? I think he puts a lot of care into his models.

I wonder what it's like to sit in on those Gibson design meetings...those guys must be either 90 years old or 12 years old...because every single one of their "innovations" is a complete and utter failure.

I would love to see them take the flying V of theirs and offer it in a neck through with no pickgaurd and with a Kahler trem WITH a locking nut...and put the bottom strap button further in towards the V to correct the balance.

I guess until then I will just have to do it myself.

They should also offer the LP studio with the 500t/496r pickup combo....

i love them too, but they are very similar to the teisco spectrums that were the teisco top range model in the 60's

Wow, you're right. I'd never seen one of those before. Even the headstock is similar.

Is that pickguard material on the headstock?

i dont have a problem with it being so similar, its just something i noticed because i own a spectrum bass. i know it usually happens with any new design - they quite often have some resemblence to something thats gone before or been done at the same time by some one else. I had my recent baritone deisgn compared to guitars i have never seen almost suggesting i had ripped somone off.

but i always wonder with those schecters because its so similar in shape and they even stole the headstock!!

There is nothing new under the Sun.

That is just something that uncreative people say.

Not true. Dang near everything you see or do that is supposedly new or inventive takes it's inspiration or can have it's roots traced to something that already exists. The completely original ideas are so few and far between they are virtually non-existent. Everything draws from something else.

Not true. Dang near everything you see or do that is supposedly new or inventive takes it's inspiration or can have it's roots traced to something that already exists. The completely original ideas are so few and far between they are virtually non-existent. Everything draws from something else.

That is just something that uncreative people say when they are confronted with their uncreativity.

th_P3070032.jpg Mine

th_Feather.jpg Ken Francis's Sonic: Feather

I'll admit that inspiration came from Ken's, and I'll admit that neither of us are pioneers in guitar building. But the fact is that these two are astheticly pleasing to most (Mine's better of course) they're very comfortable to play, they balance well, and they sound pretty damn good.

I guess my point is: These two haven't been done already.

07.jpg

LINK

There's an egg shaker inside the body with a contact mic attached to it. There's also two mercury switches wired into the electronics so moving the neck up and down can swap between bridge to neck, bridge to kill, or bridge both pickups. The egg shaker mic also picks up the strings so the bridge to kill setting has some weird sounds too.

The body is just about .5' thick along the edges and about 1.5' at the center. The total weight is 5.25 pounds.

I think scott may have had a spinal tap moment there and meant .5" and 1.5" thick :D ...all the same, some cool looking designs, great workmanship and features that show some remarkable (if possibly misguided) innovation! I think the coolest thing is the addressing of weight issues which is a recurring theme in his work.

Hard to see the precedents on those electronics....maybe the GH controller...hahaha

Not sure that I have a definitive definition of "cool"...often I get the impression that "innovative" means anything different and that cool is anything that doesn't look like the classics even if it is detrimental to it's intended use...but I am feeling particularly old I guess. I still see Leo's work on the strat to be incredibly cool still to this day! (and yes, he did build them even though he didn't actually play!)

pete