Material Inlay questions...

Hello Brian I've read all of your tutorials and they are the most interested reading I've had for months now. I'm not really good in English so I've encountered a couple of parts that I don't understand.

Anyway here is the deal:

I've stripped down my RG7 body down to the basswood... Now I'm thinking of having a graphic on which blends into the grey/black finish I'm going to use. Here are my questions:

1. Can I use any printed paper as graphic, like can I go and buy an artist-poster and use that? Or is a pro photocopy needed? Is it because of waterbased inc and whatnot?

2. When applying the graphic should I do it directly to the woodsurface or should I put any coat inbetween? What do I do next before I apply a coat?

3. When applied I'm planning to do a coat on the graphic aswell as the body, then color it, let it dry then sand the color gently so the graphic comes through and blends with the color. Is this a bad idea?? Cause it would be cool if you can do it, maybe you have some different genious way of doing this!

That's my quiestions for now! Thanks a bunch!

1. Can I use any printed paper as graphic, like can I go and buy an artist-poster and use that? Or is a pro photocopy needed? Is it because of waterbased inc and whatnot?

I've done that finish over an Art poster before so I would say no problem

2. When applying the graphic should I do it directly to the woodsurface or should I put any coat inbetween? What do I do next before I apply a coat?

Yes Apply it directly to the wood.

3. When applied I'm planning to do a coat on the graphic aswell as the body, then color it, let it dry then sand the color gently so the graphic comes through and blends with the color. Is this a bad idea?? Cause it would be cool if you can do it, maybe you have some different genious way of doing this!

It would work in theory if your color isn't to dense, I've never tried that so I couldn't say......

I've done that finish over an Art poster before so I would say no problem ...Apply it directly to the wood.

I was just about to post a question on this very topic.

I was just going to follow the material finish directions, and substitute the paper artwork. I have a nice big sheet of some MC Escher sketches that I think would look cool.

Wish me luck. Oh, and Brian, where do you get the Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer? I'd rather use that than Modge Podge.

I know here in town you can get the Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer at Lowe's but I'm pretty sure they have it at Home Depot as well.

The label is a picture of several planks of wood so it's pretty easy to spot down in the wood finishing products area.

The sanding sealer or filler in this case is primarily for the edge's to smooth them out and help blend the material or paper on to the body.

You could skip it, but you'll just end up spending extra time and money on shooting more and more clear to build up and smooth out around the edge's.

Ok thanks... What brand of sandfiller do you use... I might be mistaken for what sandfiller really is so maybe it will be easier if you named a brand. I can't translate sand-filler into swedish so that the people in the hardware-store understand what I want...

Farther up in the thread, Brain mentions Deft lacquer sanding sealer. I have not been able to find that brand. I've found one by Plaid, and another by Rust-o-leum. I have not tried either one of them.

As for what it is, according to StewartMacdonald (www.stewmac.com) a lacquer sanding sealer is a clear lacquer with twice as many solids. So, one coat of sealer = 2 coats of clear lacquer. Like Brian said before, you can just use the clear coat, but you will wind up having to use several more coats.

Hope that helps.

ok thanks a bunch... another thing... I'm sitting here with my graphic on my PC and I wondered do any of you guys have an actual size RG/Universe body print that they can send... So I can fit the graphic into it...

When I read this just now, I thought you were going to take a picture of one guitar and attach it to another. That would be pretty weird.

Now, where did that picture of the blue swirl paint job Jem go to...