New Sanding Table

erikbojerik

Check it out - I finally got inspired to build a downdraft sanding table. It has a 30" x 48" table surface (1/4" pegboard on 2x6 frame) on a cabinet that has inside dimensions of 25" x 48" (so it holds 3 of the 16"x25" air filters). Took me the entire weekend and ~$350 (half of that is for the fan), but it is really doing a great job keeping the dust down.

The switch turns it on/off and the outlet is handy for the sandy. 5" casters (2 locking) so I can move it anywhere. The front edge of the table extends about 5" out from the cabinet, so that I can clamp to it.

SandingTable1.jpg

The table is hinged to the cabinet so you can lift it and access the filters (here I have some cheap fiberglass pre-filters on top of the better white folded filters).

SandingTable2.jpg

The entire inside is caulked so that I don't lose any airflow - I want the fan to pull air only through the table. The fan is a 3000 cfm wall exhaust fan, and it is amazingly quiet.

SandingTable3.jpg

Even when I'm not sanding, I'll turn it on just to circulate and filter the air in the shop; it will circulate all the air in the room every 2-3 minutes. :D

Great job. Wish I had extra shop space for someting like that.

What grade of filters are you using?

Great job. Wish I had extra shop space for someting like that.

Yeah, I had to eliminate a floor-standing shelf with all sorts of tools on it, but was able to space some wall-hanging shelves closer together to make room for another layer - that's where the tools went.

What grade of filters are you using?

The white folded ones are the entry-level 1" thick ones @ $3 each - we'll see how they work out.

The white folded ones are the entry-level 1" thick ones @ $3 each - we'll see how they work out.

Hopefully better than my home heater filter works, LOL :D

Maybe some cheap micron pre filter material on top or Multi bag filters behind it? I know more money. Heres a link to one filter source for reference. Filter reference

Anyway give us a follow up in how it works with the $3 filters.

Archived