Full Hollow Maple Tele

I'm quite a fan of Telecasters and I would like to build one but I want to build a unique one. My idea is to make a completely hollow tele using bent maple sides and a thin top and back. The only blocks would be for the strings to go through under the bridge and reinforcement around the neck (set neck).

If I use 1/8" maple for the top and back, would I need any bracing besides a plate to screw the bridge to?

If I use a spruce top, how much bracing would I need?

Would kerfing be need to get the top and back to glue to the sides?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

This would be my half arsed way of getting a hollow body (don't have the money for the tools to make an archtop...yet) and a tele.

I'm thinking cream colored, black binding and pick guard, and gold hardware. Any answers would be great. I won't be able to build this for a while anyway. I have an electric cello to build first but this will be the project that follows.

I'm quite a fan of Telecasters and I would like to build one but I want to build a unique one. My idea is to make a completely hollow tele using bent maple sides and a thin top and back. The only blocks would be for the strings to go through under the bridge and reinforcement around the neck (set neck).

If I use 1/8" maple for the top and back, would I need any bracing besides a plate to screw the bridge to?

If I use a spruce top, how much bracing would I need?

Would kerfing be need to get the top and back to glue to the sides?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

This would be my half arsed way of getting a hollow body (don't have the money for the tools to make an archtop...yet) and a tele.

I'm thinking cream colored, black binding and pick guard, and gold hardware. Any answers would be great. I won't be able to build this for a while anyway. I have an electric cello to build first but this will be the project that follows.

I'm surprised nobody has replied. I'm the idiot from the sealer thread. Are you sure you'd be satisfied? It sounds like you want an archtop and a tele. Not one or the other, and not really two in one. Your idea sounds like a compromise to me. Not necessarily a bad one, but still, settling for what you don't really want. I'm not saying "don't make the guitar", who am I to tell you what to do? I just want you to be sure it's what you really want before you jump in.

You don't need bracing. Take a look at the guts of a Danelectro. Just a block for the bridge and neck, bent wood sides... pretty much what you describe.

Speaking of non-standard Teles, check out Specimen Products Schnellercaster and Indian Corn guitar. They mention Sears Silvertones, which were made by Danelectro, and masonite, which Danelectro used for the top and backs of their guitars... I got the impression that they're hollow, too.

Edited by tirapop

I'd go the route of that Danelectro. As long as you leave a big hunk of wood under the bridge, you should be fine. Acoustic tops are strengthened by bracing and by the fact that they're radiused. For what you're trying to do, I don't think all that would be worth the effort. Also, I think it would be a really cool guitar. I say go for it.

-Dave

I'm pretty sure it's what I want. I like the sound of teles and I like the complexity that a hollow body adds to the sound. It'd be a good way to get into wood bending. I'd be using fairly cheap wood (since it will be painted) so if I screw up a few pieces I won't be losing a lot of money.

The Danelectro is pretty much what I'm thinking of doing.