Compensating The Nut Position.

I read in a thread about PRSi and Gibsons (in another forum) that PRSi intonate better because they have the nut moved slightly closer to the first fret. Sort of a rudimentary earvanna or something along those lines.

My first though was Bullsh*t !! But yesterday I took the digital calipers out and measured a McCarty I have. Sure enough, for a 25" scale guitar the distance from nut to first fret (center) is a good 1/64" less than the theoretical value (0.4 mm for the metrically minded) !! Not a huge difference but obviously intentional (I would expect PRS tolerances to be much better than that). I have still to measure a Hollowbody I have to see if it is consistent, but I would guess so.

Now I'm curious:

What do you think the advantages of this practice are ?? Does any of you use this trick (or any similar trick) in your builds ??

Thanks.

That is the way the Feiten intonation is done too. I use Earvana nuts for all my personal guitars and I have been able to convince quite a few customers to try them out too. They have never come back to complain. I also know that Perry Ormsby does something similar to the Feiten thin on his guitars. So, yeah, that is a common practice and not so unusual as one might think.