Inbuilt Treble Booster?

Cult Classic

After discovering the fender custom shop police lead guitarists guitar, with an inbuild gain knob, and today finding a treble booster pedal youtube demonstration, its got me thinking. seeing as treble boosters cost a lot of money (i mean a lot) im thinking of incorporating a treble booster into the guitar.

stealth style perhaps using a push pull pot in place of the tone knob (this would most likely be in a les paul in a future build)

If you want to hear it, check out the soundclip called "Brian May Boost" here: http://www.home-wrecker.com/salvo.html

Here is also another source of info on this circuit: http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=40

Edited by Paul Marossy

I've built the BMTB, not a huge fan, although I do have some guitars where it really makes the neck pickups sound pretty cool.

I really like the LPB boost circuit, myself. (Information is again available at General Guitar Gadgets and Tonepad, as well as all the other usual pedal building sites.)

Boosts are really really easy to build in general, often will last all sorts of time on a single battery, and need minimal controls. Ideal for putting something in a guitar. I had one a guitar once - I wired it to max boost, (no control knob) and put it after my guitars controls in the circuit. A flick of a switch and you've got a lead boost, pushing the amp into sweet singing solo tone.

If you ever want to get into the wild world of pedal building, a boost is a great way to start. You can order kits from a few places, or build your own with a handful of parts from radioshack. There's about a zillion different schematics for boosts, whether you want a treble boost or a straight boost. Many are easily adaptable to either. Not needing a heavy duty footswitch or a box cuts about a third of the cost out of the build.

Just beware not to boost the guitar too much or add noise through the circuit. This is all very well with valve amps pushing them to a nice smooth overdrive...it you slam the front end of a solid state amp, modeling pedals or recording gear (especially digital stuff) you can get a really nasty distortion.

I do like the idea of active electronics in guitars if done sensibly...it's always amazed me that more hasn't been done in the area of lower impedance pickups and added boost for instance...EMG is only one possible flavour.

I've built the BMTB, not a huge fan, although I do have some guitars where it really makes the neck pickups sound pretty cool.

I really like the LPB boost circuit, myself. (Information is again available at General Guitar Gadgets and Tonepad, as well as all the other usual pedal building sites.)

Boosts are really really easy to build in general, often will last all sorts of time on a single battery, and need minimal controls. Ideal for putting something in a guitar. I had one a guitar once - I wired it to max boost, (no control knob) and put it after my guitars controls in the circuit. A flick of a switch and you've got a lead boost, pushing the amp into sweet singing solo tone.

If you ever want to get into the wild world of pedal building, a boost is a great way to start. You can order kits from a few places, or build your own with a handful of parts from radioshack. There's about a zillion different schematics for boosts, whether you want a treble boost or a straight boost. Many are easily adaptable to either. Not needing a heavy duty footswitch or a box cuts about a third of the cost out of the build.

A lot of people like the LPB-1, too. I built one once, but I wasn't that excited about it. :D

A lot of people like the LPB-1, too. I built one once, but I wasn't that excited about it. :D

I have an original, same thing for vocalists called the ego booster...no, I'm not impressed either...plenty of good alternatives like the tilman, fetzer or even an opamp design

I have an original, same thing for vocalists called the ego booster...no, I'm not impressed either...plenty of good alternatives like the tilman, fetzer or even an opamp design

Cool, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels that way about the LPB-1. :D

The LPB isn't the most transparent or all-around boost. I really like it with my current rig and the sound I'm going for. It doesn't work at all for other sounds or other setups I play. I hadn't really thought about that when I recommended it. Change or add a few caps and you can change the sound of it pretty dramatically. The nice thing about boosts is that they're so cheap and easy to build - it doesn't take much time or money to try out quite a few.

If you find you really want more of an EQ thing rather than a straight up boost, I really like the Mr. EQ circuit at Run Off Groove - it's a lot more versatile than you might think, although it does become a bit more involved with three switches, a bypass and a volume knob. It doesn't give the huge boost in volume that traditional boost does, but the set parametric EQ is sometimes all you need to cut through the mix.