Truss Rod Help

If you have a fillet then thats where any glue would be, but if you don't have a fillet then I would just pack it with silicone stuff that is used to seal around baths. Don't go putting it in just yet though, wait for some more experienced guitar maker come along as I might be wrong on this.

If you have a fillet then thats where any glue would be, but if you don't have a fillet then I would just pack it with silicone stuff that is used to seal around baths. Don't go putting it in just yet though, wait for some more experienced guitar maker come along as I might be wrong on this.

What do you mean by fillet? also, would the silicone stuff go all the way down the truss rod, or just as the anchor?

Sorry, these are probably basic questions, but the truss rod is the bit i'm most clueless on

A fillet it a strip of wood that you glue into the truss rod channel over the truss rod to hold it in.

If you get a stewmac.com hot rod then you wont need an anchor, fillet/filler strip and you also wont need to rout a curved channel as the hot rod works in a flat channel.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adj...75.html#details

Those are the instructions for installing it.

Get melvyn hiscocks: make your own electric guitar if you havn't already. It's the greatest guitar making tool ever made.

• 2 months later...

Actually single action compression rods come in two flavors, with a curved fillet above and without. I personally use a straight SAC rod because I don't 'believe' that a truss rod works by bending as so many people do. My trussrods work because the backside of the neck can be compressed easier than the top and the rod is set low in the channel close to the back. Straight SAC rods only balance the pull of the strings, but don't attempt to bend the neck in the opposite direction of the string pull. The outcome is a much more lively neck with better sustain and less dead spots.

• 10 months later...
Actually single action compression rods come in two flavors, with a curved fillet above and without. I personally use a straight SAC rod because I don't 'believe' that a truss rod works by bending as so many people do. My trussrods work because the backside of the neck can be compressed easier than the top and the rod is set low in the channel close to the back. Straight SAC rods only balance the pull of the strings, but don't attempt to bend the neck in the opposite direction of the string pull. The outcome is a much more lively neck with better sustain and less dead spots.

not true - single action rods mean that you can force the neck in one direction only whether the rod is bent or not. the straight single rods, by their design are meant to bend, the curved rods work because they are bent to start with in the direction of the string pull & when you tighten the rod it tries to straighten pulling the neck with it, the straight rods start off straight & then when you tighten them they pull against a metal bar causing the rod to bend pushing the neck back.

double action rods are capable of forcing the neck in either direction to compensate for backbow when fretting etc. this works by setting the rod (during anufacture) with the neutral position (ie - no bend) in the middle of the screw thread, offering the ability to bend the rod in either direction.

oh & single action rods come in more than 2 flavours, curved with fillet, rod & bar & u-channel (or should that be n-channel because of the direction of fitting?)

personally (many will disagree tho') I believe that the single curved rod to be outdated & may cause problems later in the guitars life due to the fibres in the timber compressing (a problem with old Gibsons) & requires the nut removing & modified washers fitting before replacing the nut.