Effect Idea

stringkilla

I want to have an effect generator that, produces a sound like a helicopter, in a small stomp box type of utility. Would such a thing exist now, or would it have to be a special design. I am electronically challenged, so designing one myself is out of the question, but I can solder pretty good. Also as an alternate effect, one that would create a rumbling sound that would increase in intensity for a given set time period. Can anybody give me a link to or suggest who or where I culd get a schematic for such things ??

did you think about just maybe using a delay pedal for creating a helicopter sound by letting oscillate

the boss dd-3 works great for it-- Tom Morello uses it in the intro of cochise by audioslave by tapping the strings with a pencil- works great when i tried it out

also for what are these sounds going to be used?

:D Connor

I bet...if you were to get a toy helecopter with some electronic sounds sampled into it, and held it up to a guitar pickup...the coupling between the speaker and magnetic pickup would cause the helecopter sound to come through...

This is how Steve Stevens and others made some of these sounds with ray guns and vibrators, etc...

Otherwise...a tape loop (or more likely a repeating mp3 file on a player) into a volume pedal would do the trick...just depress the volume pedal to mix in actual helicopter or whatever sounds you like. The internet is full of sampled sound effects!

For the helicopter idea, a 555 timer switching signal at a pot-controlled variable rate and/or duty cycle might work... if this is not already being done. I imagine it would be something similar to the toggle kill switch effect used in a alot of 80's rock, but more electronically controlled. This is something I could cook up pretty quickly and report back, as 555 timers are commonly used in applications at my workplace and I have been learning how to set them up recently. Anyone know if this is being done already somewhere? Put an envelope filter on top of this and it could be really cool.

Good, a knowledgeable response. I have been around, and by that alone I can say, "no I've never heard or seen anything like this, that wasn't done with a synthesizer". Well, I'll be glad to see a diagram, how about the rumbling effect, like the ground makes during a earthquake?. I know this does not exist.

Edited by stringkilla

I put together a timer circuit today with the intention of trying the helicopter idea. It is variable via a 100K pot, in the hopes of having a control to vary "engine idle/throttle". What the pot does is vary what's called the "duty cycle". Imagine that within 1 seconds time, you flick a light on then off, so it is on for 0.5 seconds and off for the other 0.5, but repeat over and over. If the light is on for 50% of the time, then you have a 50% duty cycle. If it is on for only 0.2 seconds, then off for 0.8, then you have a 20% duty cycle. The pot (supposing you have an accurate one witch goes to 0 Ohms on both ends, which I didn't) goves you infinite control in duty cycle, from 0 to 100% duty cycle, 0 being full of and 100% being full on. This timer switches a transistor in the signal chain just after a booster circuit I made, turning the entire signal on and off, over and over as if you had a kill switch you were operating manually and repeatedly. You can get a 555 timer from Radio Shack for $1.00 and change.

Anyway, there is a bit of noise still, these are simple power cleanliness issues as I use a 9V adapter for this type of experimentation as not to run through batteries like mad, but the copter concept is worth looking into further IMO. Admittedly, I have never hardwired a kill switch, but I know if that is done wrong, then a popping will be heard. In this case it's more of a click, but the concept is similar. Perhaps PSW (switch-master) can give some clues as to how hardwired kill switches are best wired to give no "popping" effect, then I might try to apply this analogously to the analog circuit to make it more clean and click-free.

Take a listen to the clip entitled "Helicopter Concept Experiments" after going to www.soundclick.com/donovansclips. This could be a lot more interesting, but having to mess with a mini-pot and pluck strings left no free hand for fretting.

There are a bunch of different settings played in succession, all with different effects, so don't give up after the first 20 to 30 seconds, unless you think it just $ucks that bad, which I hope you don't! Anyway, they are all played through a cheap Squier Strat, out to the effect, and then a Digitech RP250, then finally, straight into the PC. I am only playing a low E note and messing with effects and the potentiometer that controls the timer.

I hope you enjoy.

Dude, that is almost, 99.9% what I was after. I especialy like the last one. It sounds like you were using a whaa pedal also, great choice for coloring the sound by the way. When can I see a detailed schematic?????

Great, glad you liked it.

Give me a few days to see if I can make it a little better. I want to try using a relay to switch the signal circuit to see if it improves the clicking/noise issues. If not, I'll draw it up after that. So far, it is really only just a few parts, all available at Radio Shack.

OK, here is what I think is the best I am going to get for my knowledge level... it is basically the same circuit as before only this time, substituting an Omron miniature relay for the NPN transistor, which is a bit cleaner in the switching as I can move the singnal to ground during the timer's off cycle, and this also allowed me to move the point of signal interruption to an AC only portion. Take a listen and see what you think. I think it is a bit cleaner than before, though it could still be better if someone were willing to invest more time in it. Anyway, I'll draw up both versions in the next couple of days.

As before, just click on my sig and listen to the copter experiments #2.

• 5 weeks later...

Update... I've now cleaned up this design and it is completely click free, noiseless, and working great, so earlier problems have been solved. The circuit is very customizable and if the "chopper" effect is so desired, it is as easy as switching input/output lines. The update came after this idea was called for again in another thread, linking to that thread, the schematic is available there... http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=40244