How Much Does Timber On A Fretboard Affect Sound?

How much does the timber used on a fretboard affect sound?

In my experience it seems quite a lot, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions

I dont have the experience to know for myself, but the general idea seems to be that it has a large effect on the attack portion of the sound.

this is what i believe... it doesnt mean its completely true but i have found it usefull for generalisations. Maple and ebony have quite a snappy, fast attack, rosewood is slower, gentler and warmer

A lot of guys think the wood makes no difference at all, but I don't agree with that at all.

The neck wood has a lot to do with the sound, arguably more than the body (on a solidbody). The fretboard takes up a considerable portion of the neck, so it's safe to assume it makes a difference in sound.

One thing to really consider is the frets connect right to the fretboard. The vibrations from the fret need to pass through the fretboard before they get to the neck (much of the vibration comes from the body to the neck, but I'm not talking about that right now), so, in theory, a more resonant wood is going transfer the vibrations better(if you've ever cut or filed ebony, you know how resonant and loud it can be).

I can't tell you what wood is going to tell you what rtpw of sound you are going to get. But Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio ask what type of wood the fretboard is on their tone wizards, and even say what fretboards they feel their pickups compliment the best. If they feel the fretboard is that important, it is good enough for me.

A lot of guys think the wood makes no difference at all, but I don't agree with that at all.

...the general idea seems to be that it has a large effect on the attack portion of the sound
Interesting replies

The first comment I ever heard about this was something like "The fretboard doesn't affect the sound much except for..." - (and I can't remember what the rest was) So maybe it was about "attack"

The neck wood has a lot to do with the sound, arguably more than the body (on a solidbody)...
Very relevant. I really like a maple neck for playing (I can see the strings better) but not the sound so much. On my next guitar I'm considering a maple fretboard but I'm wondering if it would have more affect than a maple cap (I wouldn't put the two together though)

Aiming for the Les Paul sound