Paint Under Clear?

My friend wants to build a guitar with parts from warmoth. I said I'd be able to help him finish it because I've done a good bit of woodworking and finishing. He wants it black with lime green flake.

I'm unsure what paint and clear to use. I don't have spray equipment so I'll need to be able to get a few cans of aerosol clear to be able to encase all the flake. What paint and clear should I use for this?

The first thing I would do is find out where you can get lime green flake suspended in a clear coat in an aerosol can. Then find out what kind of clear that is and base your choices from there. Black paint is easy to find and finding one and a compatable clear are easy. Finding lime green flake in an aerosol can is very hard if not impossible. If you can find it, then that is what you need to base the rest of your choices around.

The flake requires such a large tip opening, and I have never seen a rattle can with it. Which means if that is what he has his heart set on, you'll need spray equipment.

If he has to have that color scheme or something like it, I would find out what an auto body shop will charge and let them paint it and then polish it yourself.

The first thing I would do is find out where you can get lime green flake suspended in a clear coat in an aerosol can. Then find out what kind of clear that is and base your choices from there. Black paint is easy to find and finding one and a compatable clear are easy. Finding lime green flake in an aerosol can is very hard if not impossible. If you can find it, then that is what you need to base the rest of your choices around.

We don't need to have the flake suspended from what I've seen. You lay down a coat of brush on and sprinkle it on the surface then aerosol over it. you spray a few more aerosol cans coats to seal it in then start brushing on and carefully leveling.

I'm looking at this:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-disc...uckocaster.html

we don't want as dense of a covering, and smaller flake.

Those look pretty slick. And finding someone that can do it with an airbursh will be easier and cheaper than an auto body shop.

You cant spray Flake through an airbrush, certainly not a conventional airbrush. Metallics, yes sometimes, but not Flake.

Usually, Flake is applied either in an inter-coat carrier or in one of the clear coats, having been mixed in.

There is a device known as a Flake Buster, which you can copy by modifying a regular air blower type attachment, so that it sucks up flake from the pot and sprays it out.

Also, if you do apply flake manually onto clear, you need a HEAVY coat of clear, so that the flake mostly sinks in. Then you need to apply more clear until it is buried, BEFORE you attempt wet sanding. Most flakes are not coloured all of the way through, so if you sand them, then they will show up as white specks in your finish. House of Kolor flakes are the same colour right through.

Personally, the links to the Tele forums that were posted...the finish is awful. If they really want that thick textured finish, fine, but it's not my cup of tea and not how flake should be applied.

Your not gonna be happy with a flake that will shoot through an airbrush. You can get some at any hobby store that sells fascolor paints. Its tiny.

You can sprinkle it on or salt shaker it. Its a technique that's been used for years. Its a mess and a different flake look.

Sprayed flakes tend to settle flat, sprinkled on end up in all sorts of directions more bass boatey.

The Roth Flake Buster sprinkles them on, well more of sprinkles with a fire hose.

You will need several coats of clear to bury them then level sand and recoat.

Doing it at home with out guns will be tough.

Your not gonna be happy with a flake that will shoot through an airbrush. You can get some at any hobby store that sells fascolor paints. Its tiny.

You can sprinkle it on or salt shaker it. Its a technique that's been used for years. Its a mess and a different flake look.

Sprayed flakes tend to settle flat, sprinkled on end up in all sorts of directions more bass boatey.

The Roth Flake Buster sprinkles them on, well more of sprinkles with a fire hose.

You will need several coats of clear to bury them then level sand and recoat.

Doing it at home with out guns will be tough.