Floyd Rose Installation

Hello all,

Any one here have any experience installing a Floyd from scratch? If so I have a few questions for you.

I did some searching and found multiple threads on topics with floyds but I could not find any pictures of installation or complete description of the process.

1. What is your procedrue...I know broad question here but it is a start.

2. Which routing templates do you use if any....Stewmac, homemade...etc

3. I want to install a recessed one. I know the Floyd site has deminsions that you need to follow. But with those how deep does the neck pocket need to be for good action?

4. If recessed do I need a neck angle?

If you guys have any pictures to of your process or links to them please let me know.

Thanks for any info. :D

Matthew

1. What is your procedrue...I know broad question here but it is a start.

2. Which routing templates do you use if any....Stewmac, homemade...etc

3. I want to install a recessed one. I know the Floyd site has deminsions that you need to follow. But with those how deep does the neck pocket need to be for good action?

4. If recessed do I need a neck angle?

If you guys have any pictures to of your process or links to them please let me know.

Thanks for any info. :D

Matthew

With a recessed Floyd, you usually don't need any neck angle. The depth of the neck pocket depends on the dimensions of the neck you're using. With a recessed Floyd and no neck angle, I'd probably want the top of the f-board standing 1/4" above the face of the body or around that. You'll have enough working room with the Floyd's height adjustment to handle some variation.

Use the diagrams on the FR site to either make your own templates, or just buy some from StewMac. (The lexan templates are nice).

Here are some photos of a guitar I converted from fulcrum to recessed Floyd, which may help.

I know you're asking about a build from scratch, but the principle is identical, esp. as this guitar also had no neck angle!

Mine was cut using a large CNC milling machine, and using dimensions which I found on the internet eg. Jemsite, Ibanez, Floyd Rose sites etc.

(I even remember looking at the spec drawings in an eBay listing for a FR bridge, which was very useful actually!)

So, it started like this:

PC300090.jpg

Had to install a hardwood block to compensate for some gaps, then onto the CNC:

04-04-07_1305.jpg

Job done!

P4100013.jpg

The depth of each rout is easily calculated.

Following the success of this one, I've had a set of three routing templates made for me (in thick perspex) using the same dimensions, like so:

P2260012.jpg

Each template corresponds to each different routing depth required.

As a guide, here are the depths I used:

Template 1: 6.35mm (shallowest rout; and determines overall "footprint" of recess)

Template 2: 15.85mm (this is mainly the area at the back of the the bridge under the fine tuners)

Template 3: 46mm (this is the hole for the sustain block, and goes right through the body and into the spring cavity on the rear)

The depth of the holes for the bushes can be calculated by measuring the actual bush to be used.

As you can see, I had them made to include centreline guide marks, and holes for locating pegs to ensure correct placement!

Haven't had the chance to try them out yet, but I expect no problems.

I also had templates made for the rear spring cavity and recessed cover.

Maybe not 100% what is being asked for here, but I hope it helps anyway!!

DJ

I learned by buying the Stew-Mac templates, and the Dan Erlewine (Stew-Mac) video on tremolo installations.

He does an excellent job leading you thru the entire process, showing a lot of super-handy little tricks along the way, things you won't think about until you're 'there', and go 'OK, what now'.

A very recommended video to get so your first one is a great success and not a 'learning by mistakes' fiasco.

Good good stuff.

A lot of people say I'm good at finishing, and the Dan Erlewine videos 'Spray Finishing Basics & Spray Finishing With Colors' is what got me started with finishing. There were other research tools along the way, but those videos were my foundation to everything I now know. I wouldn't be nowhere w/o those Dan Erlewine videos, they brought me light years of knowledge.

Thanks Dan. :D