General Acousic Questin

Ok guys,

I have now become interested in building an acoustic guitar. Thing is, I can find NO information anywhere on the web. There isnt just info like for building solid bodies. There are plenty of Tuts for those. I have searched all night tonight, and really havnt found anything helpful. I would get the sides pre bent, and the rest would be done by me. My main questions are about the neck attachment, and how you make it fit perfectly, and a ton of other stuff.

Big question:

Where did you guys learn to build acoustics? There has to be some free info out there somewhere.

There are some websites I don't have any of the links though. It would be a good idea to look around MIMF and the library there has tons of info on building acoustics. I would suggest getting some books, the one RDub mentioned is great and Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar by Jonathan Kinkead is great too. I am in the middle of building one now and before I started I bought and read every in print book about it, not that you would have to do that but has been helpful because now I know of many different ways to do things and can find the one I like best.

I know I am in the minority but I feel that The Cumpiano book is not a good stand alone resource. (It is a great book, and probably the best single book out there)

Much of the stuff is outdated, or can be done eaisier/better for beginners with other methods.

If you build from that book, definiteley check out his website for some updates.

If any individual step seems difficult, or doesn't work well with the tools you have, then find another resource. There are so many ways to skin a cat.

I also have the Irving Sloan book and one by Jim Williams. Check your library for what they have.

I can find NO information anywhere on the web.

Did you look? There is quite a bit.

Here are a couple photo essay type sites.

There are also several really good forums.

http://www.proulxguitars.com/buildup/build1.htm

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MusicHall-Horn/...ke/ooomakee.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushita/

I agree with you Mike, that some of cumpiano's methods are out dated, but I still think it's the most important book. Kincaids book is also a great resource. As I found out when starting to learn about acoustics, thre's many ways to skin a cat. I ended up reading any books I could find, and researching different methods before I started, and ended up using a compilation of different peoples ideas, to adapt to the tooling I had. But those books are the best place to start.

To the OP. Take your time learning about the reasons behind the way an acoustic is made before just diving in. Then you'll be able to tailer your method to what works best for you.

Another site to check out, especially if you want to build a kit, is www.kitguitarbuilder.com . The guy who runs it built all the popular kits, and there's some great info to help you decide what's right for you. And his forum over there's good too.

And be sure to use the search function on the forums. Most likely any question you might have has been asked before.

WOW! Thanks for all the info guys!! I promise, I did search, A LOT! I think its just because an acoustic is much different than an electric, and I dont really know WHAT im searching for to search for acoustic info. Those all look like great resources! Thanks once again, I will spend much time going thru all of what i can. I really appreciate it guys, thanks!

Let me just throw this out there. Please understand that I have no affiliation with or personal interest in this resource, but John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars is a really awesome guy. We've emailed back and forth a good bit, and he really has a heart for helping other builders. If you ever find yourself looking into a kit (or a number of other things), his stuff is worth checking out:

http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/

-Dave

Let me just throw this out there. Please understand that I have no affiliation with or personal interest in this resource, but John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars is a really awesome guy. We've emailed back and forth a good bit, and he really has a heart for helping other builders. If you ever find yourself looking into a kit (or a number of other things), his stuff is worth checking out:

http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/

-Dave

You should ask: What has been updated on Cumpianos/Kinkeads book. You can also get the guitar making book by Kinkead, which is good. There is a classical guitar building site:

Moldmaking at OLF forum

you need to look into the tools for building an acoustic, it can be extensive. Geting the sides pre-bent is a good idea. You can also get a precarved neck on ebay.

Cumpianos book is good for plate glue up, thicknessing by hand if you go that way, neck carving. He added a bolt on neck instead of the oldstyle thing he used to do. Alot of the back and top radi stuff is done in dishes, but those run89.99 apiece with sandpaper and shipping.

John Hall is well known for taking alot of phone calls from beginners also... he worked at Martin for a while.

Edited by GoodWood