Scn Pickups, Difference Between Neck And Middle?

~davie

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows if there's a "difference" between the neck and middle SCN pickups, in respect to tone/sound

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0992104000

Because they basically have the same DC resistance and inductance. A while back I bought a middle SCN pickup for my nashville-style telecaster.

If they're tested A vs B on the same position, eg. install the mid pup in neck position, will it sound just like the neck pup?

Or is the only/main difference or significance is having to do with when they're selected together? (eg. parallel, for that signature strat glassy-tone)

Thanks, hopefully I'm being clear, tell me if further explanation is needed.

I believe that they are the same. the physical position of the pickup is what creates the difference in sound. With traditional single coils the middle pickup is often reverse wound and reverse polarity (rwrp) to create a humbucking effect when used together. With pups like the SCn and noiseless varieties, they have two coils on top of each other separated by fairly strong magnets at the side and the poles (to keep the field tight and isolate the lower coil for a more truer single coil sound than the old stacked pickups)...the result is each pickup is humbucking and so the rwrp aspect is not required. The bridge pickups are generally stronger because of less movement at the bridge end of the string, etc. Generally these newer pickups, the bridge pickups are longer to accomodate the wider string spread and the angle of mounting on fenders.

I have an SCn neck pickup in my tele and I really love the sound...fender noiseless are similar in construction, and I am quite fond of the JB hotter strat versions...

so..yes..they will sound the same I believe

pete

I believe that they are the same. the physical position of the pickup is what creates the difference in sound. With traditional single coils the middle pickup is often reverse wound and reverse polarity (rwrp) to create a humbucking effect when used together. With pups like the SCn and noiseless varieties, they have two coils on top of each other separated by fairly strong magnets at the side and the poles (to keep the field tight and isolate the lower coil for a more truer single coil sound than the old stacked pickups)...the result is each pickup is humbucking and so the rwrp aspect is not required. The bridge pickups are generally stronger because of less movement at the bridge end of the string, etc. Generally these newer pickups, the bridge pickups are longer to accomodate the wider string spread and the angle of mounting on fenders.

I have an SCn neck pickup in my tele and I really love the sound...fender noiseless are similar in construction, and I am quite fond of the JB hotter strat versions...

so..yes..they will sound the same I believe

pete

hey pete, thanks for the reply. i was thinking the same thing.

does anyone else have any more input?

the main reason why i'm asking this is because i was thinking about getting another mid pickup from ebay to make a neck and mid pair, because the mid pups seem to sell for less. lol

I have a neck and middle JB Noiseless fenders, very similar in design...both middle and neck have the same polarity magnets and resistance, and construction. The leads on the neck are black and white, the leads from the middle green and white...other than that, identical. As these were the forerunner of the SCn's I'd have to assume they would be much the same.

The SCn I have is a telecaster neck pickup and I am mightily impressed with it...nothing like the strat pickup and on a tele it might be something to consider to have a similar thing in the neck, strat type in the middle and a tele bridge to maximize the variety.

There are sound clips (red) of the tele and some time indications for the pickups in the tele's thread (blue) in the links in my signature. On my tele, the bridge pickup is an original Fender Wide Range Humbucker...some tele fans love them, it has a real bright clang to it and mixes well with the smooth jazz like, but bright sound of the SCn in the neck...and of course silent!

pete