Cleaning Up Faux Binding After Staining... Any Tips?

Hey again! so, in the latest chapter of my neverending rg7421 refinish...

i had previously taped up the body edges before staining my guitar green with minwax stain. now that i removed the tape, i've found several spots where the stain leaked through onto the "binding".

i've started trying to go through and spot sand with 100 and 220, but i'm having some problems. wherever i sand through the stain, it smudges it across the clean bare wood and makes it greenish, too. this sucks!

are there any tips for fixing this up? any way i can use some spirits or something without endangering the rest of the finish?

Well, in my (limited) experience, you'll get better results masking the faux binding with sealer rather than just tape.

But since it's after the fact, I'd recommend a scraper. Seems to work best in these situations for me.

You could also use a sharp x-acto (sp?) type knife too.

For the next time I also recommend masking everything BUT the binding and sealing with some lacquer before staining. I use a rather thick cellulose sealer that I rub or brush on the exposed wood.

You could also use a sharp x-acto (sp?) type knife too.

I would recommend a Single sided razor blade and remove the sharp edge turn it into a mini scraper. Then wedge the blade in a piece of wood which will ride along the edge of the body, use epoxy to secure. First try the mini scraper blade on some stained wood to make sure the edge is working, then find the perfect depth on the wood block then glue. Should look like a L when you are finished

Hope this makes sense.

Assumes you can make a scraper from a single sided razor blade and like a marking gage mount it in a piece of wood..

well balls......... i got a lot of the sides cleaned up fine, but the inside of those damn horns are killing me. after much scraping and sanding there, i'm left with a faded, almost pastel green residue. i've already scraped/ lightly sanded into the wood a fair bit. i'm thinking i'll just have to live with it! No biggie, its a lesson learned for next time, i guess :D