Seven-string 26-3/4" Scale Ibanez Sabre

Tomorrow,I am sure.

It's no secret...guitarpartsdepot used to advertise that they could custom order from EMG...That is how I got my 81/7s a while back for a seven string V I made

l_c4d98fd5123e42d0b8f5067f1b47cf5d.jpg

l_2ac0d13e18cd4d0f86aa44793f37f78f.jpg

l_8658341da49040788147ce489c6dd997.jpg

I only include three pics because I don't think you ever saw this and I think you might like it.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow,I am sure.

It's no secret...guitarpartsdepot used to advertise that they could custom order from EMG...That is how I got my 81/7s a while back for a seven string V I made

l_c4d98fd5123e42d0b8f5067f1b47cf5d.jpg

l_2ac0d13e18cd4d0f86aa44793f37f78f.jpg

l_8658341da49040788147ce489c6dd997.jpg

I only include three pics because I don't think you ever saw this and I think you might like it.

When did you build that? EMG 81-7's have been out for some time now, i remember in 2003 I was going to order one through Guitar Center, they can order them at the parts counter.

The strings, frets and pickup are just a mockup at the moment as i'm waiting for the fretwire to land (thanks to Rick!) and the decision to be made on the pup and ring.

I'm thinking of snagging a set of Optima Golds for the inevitable photo ops when it's completed, but I can't get ahold of the low B and they don't seem to do singles. I'd hate to ring a full set of OG bass strings apart just for one to complete 7-string set....does anybody else make "gold" strings?

EMG will be not be making gold 707s...at least not for a while.So I guess that is your answer

When did you build that? EMG 81-7's have been out for some time now

I don't know exactly...but it was way back...I ordered the pickups long before I built it obviously...

But yeah,they were "soon to be available" if I remember right,but guitarpartsdepot was the only place I could gtet them at the time.shortly thereafter they were easily gotten.

Guitarpartsdepot has always been the best place to get EMG online...Now things are a bit easier to come by...

did you ever do a build thread on this one?

i don't think I did...It is 24 3/4" scale,pau ferro fretboard,3 piece neck through with mahogany center and maple outers and alder wings...I had it tuned to C on the 7th string,standard intervals after,which put the #1 string at F if I am correct...so it was lower than standard at the bottom and higher than standard at the top...I liked that range.

Original floyd with dual 81/7s(sound better than 707s to me)and super jumbo dunlop frets...nickel...this was the last guitar I ever fretted in nickel.

right now it is in pieces again...I have thinned the neck and I will be fixing some very minor things and refinishing it withreal paint...not that spraycan stuff I was using at the time.

great sounding guitar...played well too,aside from the thick neck.

EMG will be not be making gold 707s...at least not for a while.So I guess that is your answer

When did you build that? EMG 81-7's have been out for some time now

I don't know exactly...but it was way back...I ordered the pickups long before I built it obviously...

But yeah,they were "soon to be available" if I remember right,but guitarpartsdepot was the only place I could gtet them at the time.shortly thereafter they were easily gotten.

Guitarpartsdepot has always been the best place to get EMG online...Now things are a bit easier to come by...

did you ever do a build thread on this one?

i don't think I did...It is 24 3/4" scale,pau ferro fretboard,3 piece neck through with mahogany center and maple outers and alder wings...I had it tuned to C on the 7th string,standard intervals after,which put the #1 string at F if I am correct...so it was lower than standard at the bottom and higher than standard at the top...I liked that range.

Original floyd with dual 81/7s(sound better than 707s to me)and super jumbo dunlop frets...nickel...this was the last guitar I ever fretted in nickel.

right now it is in pieces again...I have thinned the neck and I will be fixing some very minor things and refinishing it withreal paint...not that spraycan stuff I was using at the time.

great sounding guitar...played well too,aside from the thick neck.

Are you set up as a GPD wholesaler? I got setup, but I have yet to use it. Itd be really nice if they had a price list while waiting for them to set up the wholesale website, thats one of the main things keeping me from placing an order, I'd rather not have to call every time or email for pricing...

Are you set up as a GPD wholesaler?

No...never heard of it.

If you call up guitarpartsdepot you can be set up as a wholesaler, have to have a Texas State Tax ID, but other than that, its pretty easy. Save some money on parts for your builds. They used to have a signup on their website, but I can't find it, but if you call them they'll get you all taken care of.

How about two 81-7 pickups in gold bucker rings?

s7_10.jpg

I'm liking this a lot more. The switching possibilities I have would suit this too. For a single pickup passive arrangement, I was planning on installing a push/push pot and a three-way blade (with a gold switch tip!) to allow for combinations of coil phase and serial/parallel. The pot adding nice graceful damped kill switching. Going EMG would offer less flexibility plus i'd need to use lower value pots anyway, so a straight combination of an 81-7 and a 60-7 might be on the cards there.

The single cream pickup looks great, but I perceive that it doesn't look as contemporary as i've been aiming for with this build. I might still go for one single EMG pickup, but I would be wasting the switching arrangement of the blade. Peh.

Feasibly. Any 7-string buckers would work here. Just depends on what rings I can get from fretsonthenet. EMGs would look *clean* and contemporary, although I would prefer a better range of sounds to work with. I really dig on playing solos on the neck pickup of my 6-string Sabre with the tone rolled all the way off. I love the SD APH-11s and the APH-1s. I think it's an APH-11 in the neck position anyway....I forget....i'm not entirely convinced by DMs "redesign of..." 7-string buckers. BKP equivalents for hot PAFs?

You might want to consider the 7-string blackouts again.. My friend had Ibanez 7-string and I installed blackouts to it.. Well, guy played it for few weeks and said that the low B was kinda muddy, anything but clear and sharp sounding. It could be the woods of guitar (the guitar did not resonate at all, even if it was a hardtail), his amp, which i highly doubt since it was engl powerball, or something... but the original ibz-pickups were more clear and defining anyway. on the other hand, I have blackouts on my 6-string Bc Rich Assassin, and it just rips, cuts and destroys anything that is in the way. Love those pups.

They are still more expensive than most other pickups by far...

in the UK they are a similar price to what Gibson, seymour duncan or EMG sell their pickups for. also i think the shop knocks the 15% tax off for non EU customers

with the current exchange rate thats brings a set for a US customer in about $200- 250... not that much more than those other names really

JB/jazz set

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Pickup_Set...cker_b_Set.html

blackouts

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Guitar_Pic...ve_Pickups.html

Yeah...they may be comparable to EMG actives in price......but I just don't see paying that much more for passives...not when Duncan has so many great sets for $70 less...but that is just me.

If I want to pay that much,I buy EMG...They look cooler as well as sounding great.

yeah wes, i know you can find these things cheaper than the RRP's- i was importing them to use on my guitars before i started with the BKP's. at the time i could get a set of SD's like that for about £80 delivered because of the favourable exchange rate. Suddenly my pickup prices doubled when i started using mostly BKP's but i have no doubts that its been worth it.

These are not mass produced pickups like seymor duncans, a better comparison for the value of a handmade pickup would come from someone like Lindy Fralin who also hand wind their pickups one at a time.

I still like the occasional guitar to have EMG's, the clinical clarity is hard to get any other way. and i played some SD P-rails today and liked them better than i expected to. I also use other british makes as well as BKP and they are a bit cheaper. Bulldog and swineshead pickups. But BKP are usually my first port of call because i have never had anything other than great advise, great service and great pickups from them