Seven-string 26-3/4" Scale Ibanez Sabre

Woohoo - the large gold Evo fretwire arrived yesterday, and i've made a start on the fretting zen. I'm semi/hemi'ing the wire so it should be nice and slinky when it's complete :-D

Meanwhile, back at Camp Pickup....it sounds from the BKP descriptions that a Cold Sweat would work nicely in the bridge position and a The Mule in the neck. Two hundred quid is a hella load of money right now though, and EMGs are in general more expensive also. I really want to avoid those Blackouts. SD and DM pickups seem much more reasonable for the price, although the SD range is small and the DM range don't really equate sonically to their 6-string equivalents, which is a shame.

I'm leaning towards BKP, but cash is going to be the killer here. Another thing to think about in my fretting circle of zen.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about winding your own? The cost to get into it isn't that expensive, and you end up being able to exchange sweat equity for cash. Shop for parts the right way and you can get a great sounding p'up for less money, albeit more time. I got a great deal on eBay on a spool of wire, and even if I make a bummer pickup, most everything but the wire can be repurposed. I've just started making my own this year and really liking the results, although I'm still not confident enough to not route for a form factor where a proper, store bought pickup can be dropped in. I was lucky and picked up a winder from a forum member here, but they're easy enough to make out of junk parts.

I've considered it, but I don't have the time to be picking up new skills. Perhaps for a future build. I could easily make a winder out of Lego....talking of which, here is my fretwire bender!! :-D

legofretwirebender.jpg

It's superglued together, in case you were wondering. :D

Edited by Prostheta

Prostheta, that is effin cool! Maybe I'll build same kind of device, have some legos from over the years. Finally some usage for 'em. : )

That is what I call creative. :D

-Juze aka Ghroath

The stress on the frame requires some reinforcement I think, so I might buy some more Lego off eBay to strengthen the "arms". Otherwise, it does the job really well. Same as all fret benders i've seen though, the first and last couple of inches of wire aren't radiused as much as the centre. No big deal!

legofretwirebender.jpg

That is awesome!!!

Wes, have you heard the Blackouts? I haven't, but I was considering getting a set. At about $30 less than the EMG's they are not a bad buy if the description is true.

Best fretwire bender ever!

I have the 2nd gen Blackouts Metal (1 hum, 1 single) in my fanned fret baritone. The output is completely over the top. There's a jumper on the bottom that can reduce the output, but I haven't removed it yet :D

BTW, nice job on those semi-hemi frets :D

Edited by DC Ross

Well, width of the board if you're binding ;-D

A flexible ruler does the trick, but I don't bother as I just leave a mm spare and it settles in nicely. Depends on the radius of the wire and the board. I bent the wire to a smaller radius than I received it, so it's about 12-14" going onto a 16" board. If you mess a fret up, you can usually cut it shorter and use it further up (down?) the board where the frets are shorter....

Wes, have you heard the Blackouts?

No I have not...but the ones for metal seem too hot judging by output...that was the problem with the live wires...

I am thinking of trying this set

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Active_Pic...ckouts_Set.html

I think they would be plenty hot...you don't need 20k output to sound heavy...

Agreed. I see too many metal bands who increase the gain to add more distortion, and then scoop out the mids. Then you can't hear them in a band context. Stuuuupid. Plenty of mids, a little less top end and enough low end without competing with anyone else. AC/DC have to be the loudest band out there, whilst not necessarily being the heaviest. EMGs work well for metal not just for their output, but more for their compressed sound increasing the apparent attack (in my opinion). In this build i'm looking for a 7-string passive that will have that attack and grunt, but not necessarily with the output. A ToneZone-7 would be nice if it were indeed identical to the 6-string version. I love ToneZones.

Hopefully should be redrilling the two inlay dots i'm unhappy with today. One just isn't as good-looking as the rest (who you calling scruffy lookin'?) and the other is slightly offset. Time to disguise the repair with CA and ebony dust!

In other news, i'm debating on whether or not to buy a couple of polished brass pickup rings from Fretsonthenet or a pair of anodised gold aluminium rings in satin or brushed. Anyone know whether it's possible to get a polished ring plated in the same manner as guitar hardware?

Well...the good thing about brass is that it never peels like gold plating.I use brass sometimes.

EMGs work well for metal not just for their output, but more for their compressed sound increasing the apparent attack (in my opinion).

Yeah...I just like them for their clarity at high gain levels...they are not a high gain pickup at all,really...they just handle gain better than most passives.

Fretting done!

s7_14.jpg

I've settled on the pickups on the basis of cost vs. expected tone. I've ditched the EMG and BKP options on cost, and DiMarzio because the 7-string pickups are complete redesigns of the 6's rather than the same pickup in essence. Too many reports of the differences being marked, otherwise a ToneZone7 would have been on the cards.

Straight up, Seymour Duncans - a Duncan Custom SH-5 in the bridge position and a '59 Model SH-1 in the neck. No messing around with silly high-output pickups when I get my gain from the amp (or more recently from the amp models in my X3 Pro) and voice from the pickups.

Going to sort out a pair of brass rings from Dave at Frets On The Net soon too.

thumbup.gif

Edited by Prostheta

Neck looks nice!

No I have not...but the ones for metal seem too hot judging by output...that was the problem with the live wires...

I am thinking of trying this set

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Active_Pic...ckouts_Set.html

I think they would be plenty hot...you don't need 20k output to sound heavy...

Thanks man, I will take that in mind.

Cheers Kenny! I'm tempted to build a Radius-style instrument after this one I think....I dig that quilted Sol/Radius build of yours....who did you sell it to, so I can go and pose as a pest-control dude with a warrant for immediate evacuation and licence to remove contaminated items?

I fitted the bridge and ferrules, two tuners, cut a guiding nut and popped on a low B and a high E to try out the feel of the scale and to confirm neck geometry. The TOM adjustment posts sits around 5-7mm above their minimum adjustment which is awesome - the approach to dialling in the neck angle worked a treat. There doesn't appear to be any issues with fret level either. That extra hours work fine-tuning the fretboard and paying care and attention to fret slot depth, cleaniliness and edge bevelling has kept the wire snug against the radius of the ebony. Let's see what happens when it gets fully strung up after the body is finished and I can find the money for pickups :-\