Glue On A Strat Syle Neck Joint

U guys think there is enough wood-to-wood contact on a strat to use just glue, no screws?

No there is not, Strat necks are loose by nature and some imitators can be even worse. If you wanted to build a strat capable of housing a glue on neck, you would have to get a slightly undersize neck pocket template.

U guys think there is enough wood-to-wood contact on a strat to use just glue, no screws?

No there is not, Strat necks are loose by nature and some imitators can be even worse. If you wanted to build a strat capable of housing a glue on neck, you would have to get a slightly undersize neck pocket template.

let me rephrase my question. i'm building everything from scratch and want to use a fender-strat style neck joint without the bolts (just glue)

if the neck fits nice and snug, can i just glue it or do u think it will break loose???

if you're building from scratch, I don't think it should be to hard to redesign it to be a set neck with a mortise and tenon joint. What are you trying to achieve by trying to glue a regular strat joint?

i attached some pics of the pocket ... i only want to use glue.

the neck meets the body @ the 16th fret.

think it will be strong enough?

neck_joint2.jpg

neck_joint.jpg

Edited by madhattr88

you can do it that way just fine if you are making it a nice tight join

most would make the heel deeper into the body... then you just have a full width tenon like any Les paul junior single cut or PRS style guitar

the drawing looks good to me

you can do it that way just fine if you are making it a nice tight join

most would make the heel deeper into the body... then you just have a full width tenon like any Les paul junior single cut or PRS style guitar

the drawing looks good to me

yes...as tight as i can get it.

as for your other comment, do u mean by extending the neck to go below the neck pick-up? however, i am not installing a neck pick-up.

nope, i mean the 1.135" measurement you have marked on your diagram... thats a lot deeper than a strat neck pocket

you can extend it under the neck pickup when doing double cutaway shapes but there is really no need on a single cut like this

the negative replies you received referred to the idea of getting a strat neck and a strat body and glueing them together as thats what your intial post implied- that is a really bad idea

what you are actually proposing is very different and if you look through the in progress section you will see its the way a lot of people are doing set-necks

nope, i mean the 1.135" measurement you have marked on your diagram... thats a lot deeper than a strat neck pocket

you can extend it under the neck pickup when doing double cutaway shapes but there is really no need on a single cut like this

the negative replies you received referred to the idea of getting a strat neck and a strat body and glueing them together as thats what your intial post implied- that is a really bad idea

what you are actually proposing is very different and if you look through the in progress section you will see its the way a lot of people are doing set-necks

thanks man! i really appreciate it. i wanted to try a "heel" of some sort, that's why i went pretty deep on the pocket. i'm partial to the PRS singlecut joint look, but i know they run their neck under the neck PUP. I didn't want to do that, but wanted to make sure the joint would be strong enough with just glue. ...and you answered my question so i'll stop rambling on.. : )

thanks again!!!!!!

i'm partial to the PRS singlecut joint look, but i know they run their neck under the neck PUP.

dont forget they designed the other shape first and thats how they are set up to build them.. the neck join on a singlecut PRS doesnt need to go into the pickup cavity but it also does no harm (you could argue for slight tonal improvements and a slightly more stable neck join) and means they dont need to alter the way the necks are made too much.

i'm partial to the PRS singlecut joint look, but i know they run their neck under the neck PUP.

dont forget they designed the other shape first and thats how they are set up to build them.. the neck join on a singlecut PRS doesnt need to go into the pickup cavity but it also does no harm (you could argue for slight tonal improvements and a slightly more stable neck join) and means they dont need to alter the way the necks are made too much.

Good point. Their double cut came first.