Owch, Fretboard Damage

Alright, stupidly, I managed to chip the fretboard while installing frets, and as you might see, I tried sanding that fret down and stuffed that up too (picture for reference) :D

img7498.jpg

In a situation like this, what should I do? All the frets are hammered in, would it be worth taking them all out some how and sanding the board down?

(That's all I really need to say I guess)

Alright, stupidly, I managed to chip the fretboard while installing frets, and as you might see, I tried sanding that fret down and stuffed that up too (picture for reference) :D

img7498.jpg

In a situation like this, what should I do? All the frets are hammered in, would it be worth taking them all out some how and sanding the board down?

(That's all I really need to say I guess)

a little superglue (the gel kind, not the water thin) and then sand around the area to mix the sawdust with the glue.

i do it all the time. you won't even be able to tell.

I would just redo that one fret. Sawdust fill will show up quite a lot on wood that light. You could also do some "splint" type fills with pieces of the same wood.

Looks like that middle fret has some wood areas on the right side that want to pop up. Or maybe it just appears that way and is not actually the case.

Anyway, knocking down the whole board to bring it down below the depth of some minor chips seems extreme to me.

consider using dyed baking soda set in CYA, check Stew Macs website for this tip on filling chips/dents, you don't want to pull frets and grind your fb down to fix that. what is happening in your fretting process that is causing the chipping???

img7498.jpg

What Soap said. +1

What wood is this you are using???

New Guinea Rosewood.

I've decided for now, I will leave it, and move on to the actual guitar building. If at the end of it I still don't feel happy with the fretboard, I'll fix it up. For now, its two chips that look far more inconspicuous than that photo shows.

Thanks for the tips on how to fix it though, I will keep that in mind.

Edited by Crowella