Bare Wood Preperation Question

Okay - I have done searches, and feel like I see a million ways - which I am sure there are. Please only answer if you have experience...

I have no problems preping metal for paint - wood is a different beast (or at least I think)

I have read things about fillers, and sealers, and primers - and just want to know a step by step of what is done from bare wood being ready for paint, up to the base coat.

I currently use HOK for all my stuff - and would like to keep it in the family or compatable products.

I will be getting a Mahogany body here soon, and need to make sure it is done correctly. So what should I start spraying the bare wood with, and what follows that getting me to my base color?

Would I use MinWax Sanding Sealer for anything? Then HOK DTM Primer, then my base?

Or do I need a filler, then the DTM

Or just go straight on with the DTM

See where I am confused?

Help would be much appreciated! Once I get to the base - I'm good to go from there!

Thanks in advance!

Specific Product names - and where to get them would be VERY helpful!

try the finishes and inlays section there is a ton of info in there
The DTM primer we sometimes use at work is thick enough to be like a sprayed on filler/surfacer kind of thing. However the pores of the mahogany can be tiny sometimes so it may not soak into those. That probably won't matter too much though. I'd grab a small scrap of mahogany and do some experiments with it. If the DTM seals that, sands smooth, and makes a good finish then I would skip pore filler.

I guess my question would be then - What is the order ro prepare the wood. I have looked in other sections, and no one realyl spells it out. Eberyone seems to have their own little way.

So would the following be the proper order?

1. Wood Filler

2. Sanding Sealer

3. Primer

4. Base coat

????

In watching the video's on Wayne Guitars - all he does is a Sealer Coat / Sand that / then base coat???

Is the sealer coat "Sanding Sealer" - what he sparys is clear??? And then sands, and goes straight to base coat.

Am I overthinking this with too many steps? Other than the possible filler for a wood like mahogany?

Thanks

I guess my question would be then - What is the order to prepare the wood. I have looked in other sections, and no one really spells it out. Everyone seems to have their own little way.

So would the following be the proper order?

1. Wood Filler

2. Sanding Sealer

3. Primer

4. Base coat

That's basically it. If by "wood filler" you mean "grain filler, you can use sanding sealer to fill the pores and bypass a step. You just put it on, sand back, examine to see if the pores are all filled, then repeat until they all are.

If by 'wood filler" you mean "filling the little divots and holes with wood filler/putty", then... never mind. :D

I think that answers my question...

So instead of using a "Grain Filler" (yes, that's what I meant - thanks) I can just do multiple coats of "Sanding Sealer" until all is filled? I assume if it is deap grain, then grain filler would be the way to go. Then I guess I seal it after that? And then I can base on top of the sanding sealer?

Looks like I am getting closer to my answer!!!

Thanks!

It takes a lot more time and work to fill grain porse with sanding sealer than it does with grain filler, use grain filler. Also, you really want to watch compatability issues. I would be worried about adhesion issues spraying an auto poly over sanding sealer. If you are using a transparent color, then I would grain fill, then spray a coat of poly and then your transparent color then clear. If it is a solid color, skip the first layer of clear poly under the color, and use primer. The modern auto poly's build really fast, so you don't need sanding sealer. Even when using nitro lacquer I avoid sanding sealer. It is lacquer with soap to make it easier to sand, but is also softer.

So I should probably go with the Grain Filelr (if it needs it) then just use my Auto Primer/Sealer, then Base Coat.

I am using House of Kolor Products and I have their DTM Primer (Direct to Metal) and many in the auto forums that have done

guitars talk about just using this on the bare wood with no problems. I just wanted to ask some guys who do guitars for their

projects. In the auto forums most guys deal with Metal, not wood. Just want to make sure I do it right.

And if I understand correctly, for Trans. colors - Grain Fill, and when you say coat of Poly, do you mean a coat of clear, then my trans color, then the final clear?

Sorry guys - this is why I am asking. Everyone seems to have a slight variation on what to do. And each contrdicts the other just a little bit.

The bottom line is what to use is that there are a LOT of ways to do it, none of which are wrong. I didn't like the grainfiller I used, so I fill it with sanding sealer. Some folks wetsand with Tru-Oil to fill the grain. You could use CA or epoxy. It all boils down to what YOU think is the easiest & most effective.

Awesome.

My main concern was making sure I use something that adheres to the wood properly. Poor prep work will lead to a bad finished product down the road. I didn't want to spray the wood with something and have some sort of reaction!

I think I am going to go the HOK DTM route, and sand between coats until all is smooth. Then base from there. Makes the most sens to me.