Is A Strat Strictly Speaking A Doublecut?

Is a strat a double cutaway? the top horn joins the fingerboard at the same fret as a single cutaway but it's usually reffered to as a double cut i think and the top horn is shaped like a double cutaway. I don't think it's really important but it's been on my mind quite a bit.

Yeah, i'd get it off your mind as it's never useful to labour over simplicity :-D

"Doublecut" could be construed a design style based on a derivative of a singlecut, but that's not strictly the entire game. There is/was no "singlecut" Strat really so that's the derivative thing out of the window.

Wood is good was on the money there. And it's not important.

Ahh, you're saying is should have been culled because it doesn't make the cut?

A Strat is a Strat because it is a Strat and nothing more.

Corvus, why is everyone talking about a Corvus, building a Corvus, using the word Corvus in a sentence. Corvus Corvus Corvus.

OK I feel better now. :D

Corvus, why is everyone talking about a Corvus, building a Corvus, using the word Corvus in a sentence. Corvus Corvus Corvus.

It will pass... Corvus, a body shape for people that can't manage a more appealing body style. I bet you that one came to life when one of the LP bodies at the Gibson factory came lose on the CNC and got tore to shreds. Some abstract paint lover looked at it and said "OMG THAT IS SO INSPIRING!!!"

Too late - we already know that!
]

You mean aside from the fact that ya'll were too busy being "smart" to actually plainly answer the question?

Usually I am the smart ass and you are the "stable voice of reason"...you should be ashamed :D

For shame...I scrape my finger in a carrot skinning motion at you and say "shame,shame"

<pros: snooze and you lose dude!>

Edited by Prostheta

It will pass... Corvus, a body shape for people that can't manage a more appealing body style. I bet you that one came to life when one of the LP bodies at the Gibson factory came lose on the CNC and got tore to shreds. Some abstract paint lover looked at it and said "OMG THAT IS SO INSPIRING!!!"

THAT is the most likely genesis of the...you know what...that I have heard yet...blame the machines...

I had a vision in my sleep last night of it, in my yard like a skull on stick, one had laned head first into the ground to ward off evil spirits...I WILL be making one shortly and in today's gale force winds the strings of human hair will eerily remind me of it's presence and power...

I guess my point is that "doublecut" infers a subtractive design structured off an original singlecut design, ie. an LP doublecut derived from the traditional LP shape. A Strat is a Strat in that respect, as it has no direct forebears from a design standpoint. I'm very pedantic though, and Wes has joined the thread so i'm going to find something else to do :DB)B):D

Was it the original double cut. We all know that it was ripped off from someone who ripped off the design from someone else. Isn't that the way it goes? We only remember the one that made the grade.

You are type casting based on a single attribute.

Corvus, The word still haunts me. I had a dream the edge was a sharpened steel Axe and it chased me around my shop, muttering build me, build me, or die.

I died. :D

wasn't the Corvus originally supposed to be headless, hence the angly can-opener bit behind the bridge?

wasn't the Corvus originally supposed to be headless, hence the angly can-opener bit behind the bridge?

i dont think so - although some of us spectulated it may be the way they were leaning but probably chickened out because of the extra cost. the corvii were only ever a cheap gibson

No...the corvus back cut was just in keeping with the wacky 80's aesthetic...it's just a cheap gibson with fender electronics and bolt on neck and the classy bits of an LP cut out to vaguely look like a diving bird (corvus+crow) which no one seems to be able to see!

There was no thought to back tuners at all and the cut is all wrong for that really. Many makers and even builder's here have a hankering for taking a chunk out of the rear ends of their guitars. Perhaps some of it goes back to the look of the V...but mostly it screams "different" in a tacky and pointless way...unlike the V!

The rear tuner idea is something I have come back to for a while...but is only really a "good" idea if it achieves some particular aims...like a compact guitar (steinberger, traveler concepts) or added strings (bc rich and others)...even then, there are still better "shapes" or original ideas that might exploit the concept further.

As for single cut/double cut...mostly it is an aesthetic preference I think.

Although a strat might be considered to be a double cut...but...there is as much upper neck pocket support on there due to it's asymmetrical design as a tele or other "single cuts". Guitars like the SG or 335 don't have this kind of neck support and are truer to that 'double cut' idea than a strat I suppose...

pete

you know when you keep reading (or thinking of) a word so much until it starts to sound weird? That can happen even if you think of ur own name for long. I swear the word Corvus (and CORVI TOO!) gives me shivers now because it just won't stop appearing on the forums! I think i'm gonna contribute to the plywood thread with, it's coming, YOU KNOW IT, A plycorvus build!

EDIT: Also, we have managed to trash a completely irrelevant thread with the bloody corvus! We here at PG forums defy all global forum rules, coz that's how we rollz!

Edited by Sami Ghouri

A plycorvus build!

I was thinking that too...a worthy material for a worthy design...but you have come up with the name!

you know when you keep reading (or thinking of) a word so much until it starts to sound weird? That can happen even if you think of ur own name for long. I swear the word Corvus (and CORVI TOO!) gives me shivers now

Which is why...I have adopted it as an all purpose swear word...it even works on people who have no idea...try it...

"Corvus!"..."hey, what did you call me"

"What do you think of this"..."now that's corvused"..."yeah, it is pretty bad I guess!"

"stick it up your corvus"...they'll get the idea...

Universal I tell you! It's the one good thing that has come from the corvus virus.

I see all guitars here as some kind of modified corvus...that axe bass...corvus...the kramer refinish...corvus...half the threads...corax, corbass, corten, Cortez...hi corumba, they're all a corvus in disguise!

It's almost therapeutic...but dare you to say it at midnight to a mirror while there's a full moon...go on...i dare you, I double dare you...ah-ha...you corvus, you'll never risk it!

Corvus should have its own category...double cut, single cut (oooh, mistyped an n in that word for a sec!) and corvus...no cut!

pete

ps...one more thing...corvus!