Is A Strat Strictly Speaking A Doublecut?

I dont understand whats bad about corvus's
:D

8 pages of Reasons to love a corvus...not!

For instance...

4793_1.JPG

Now look carefully...this guy is being paid to like it...but no, even he has to turn away and close his eyes in shame...he's completely forgotten his tight perm and that isn't oil, that's the fear that someone will recognize him holding this oversized kitchen implement (possibly some kind of six wired cheese cutter)...possibly his boyfriend...and that he can't really be sure that the mood lighting really will obscure his face enough.

Later some advertising genius though to put it between two LP's in an effort to transmit the idea...no, no...see it really is a guitar...no look carefully...you what, you see a bird...no look more, this ain't no rochardt test...it's a guitar, see lp, corvus, lp...i mean guitar, seriously, it's a guitar...look it's just like an LP but with the good bits removed!

A strat is a name(short for strat-o-caster...did you forget?)...strat no more negates the double cut roots than the words Les Paul negate the single cut shape...

Corvi sucks...it's a corvirus sent to blind all guitarists and turn us into drooling zombies walking the streets chanting "corvus...corvus...corvus..."

A corvus is no more than a lobotomized LP

I dont understand whats bad about corvus's :D I know they are an odd design and I would never make one (exept for the build off but i dont have a chance of finishing by the closing date). Help! someone explain!

Their just plain shite! Look at it! Look at the guy modelling it! Pete maybe you should write a formal letter to gibson asking them to explain their actions all those years ago!

Maybe someone in the design team was on crack?

I guess my point is that "doublecut" infers a subtractive design structured off an original singlecut design, ie. an LP doublecut derived from the traditional LP shape.

Sorry to jump out of nowhere for a pedantic comment, but following this logic, wouldn't "singlecut" also infer a subtractive design? Since the original LP design had one cutaway, shouldn't the "doublecut" be called a "singlecut," since only one cutaway has been subtracted from the original?

(This is where I was going to make a joke about how many cutaways a corvus has, but I'd rather not think about it)

I guess my point is that "doublecut" infers a subtractive design structured off an original singlecut design, ie. an LP doublecut derived from the traditional LP shape.

Sorry to jump out of nowhere for a pedantic comment, but following this logic, wouldn't "singlecut" also infer a subtractive design? Since the original LP design had one cutaway, shouldn't the "doublecut" be called a "singlecut," since only one cutaway has been subtracted from the original?

(This is where I was going to make a joke about how many cutaways a corvus has, but I'd rather not think about it)

no, because you are starting from the acoustic shape which would be the zero-cut, then the cutaway was added to those before the creation of the les paul which was a single cut design based on the acoustic single cuts that came before

all of which is totally pointless

no, because you are starting from the acoustic shape which would be the zero-cut, then the cutaway was added to those before the creation of the les paul which was a single cut design based on the acoustic single cuts that came before

all of which is totally pointless

Oh, I agree completely (especially about the pointlessness!). However, Prostheta's point (unless I totally misunderstood), was that a strat is not a doublecut because there was no original singlecut strat. He wasn't starting from a generic "zero-cut" shape. I was just having a bit of fun extending that idea.