Building A Hardtail Ibanez. Body Almost Ready (pics).

So, this it what I've been doing at work for two days now. It's gonna be an Ibanez RG style, three piece body, and a Les Paul style bridge with two humbuckers. 22-24 frets, don't know yet. I don't even know if I dare to start building the neck from scratch as well.

Body (two pieces of birch and one piece of cherry):

3797028.t.jpg

3797066.t.jpg

With my Jem neck attached to:

3797073.t.jpg

AANJ:

3797080.t.jpg

very nice

i have been wanting a hardtail RG for a while now. I wanted to trade my rg270dx for the rg321 but i tested a 321 yesterday and damn did it ever feel like crap compared to my 270.

Interesting because mine is an older model (96-99) made in korea and the new 321 in made in Indonesia

Anyway, great looking build

Edited by slay

very nice

i have been wanting a hardtail RG for a while now. I wanted to trade my rg270dx for the rg321 but i tested a 321 yesterday and damn did it ever feel like crap compared to my 270.

Interesting because mine is an older model (96-99) made in korea and the new 321 in made in Indonesia

Anyway, great looking build

Thanks! This is actually the first one I've ever started to build from scratch. And I've used a router only once before today. I'm quite pleased with the

pickup cavities, though they're a little sloppy. But there'll be pickup rings, so the bad places won't be seen.

Is a TOM really considered a hardtail? I always considered a hardtail a strat non trem bridge.

Anyway,

It will be really hard building a neck around a body that already has a neck pocket routed. Why did you rout it already, when you dont even have the neck ready?

Because I'll do the neck to be an exact copy of an Ibanez neck. So no worries. First I add the neck and then measure the distance to get the bridge in the right place.

No idea about how I SHOULD do everything. This is my first attempt, as I said =)

Some attempts with hardware. Hardware will be black, white/black pickups and knobs too.

3800482.t.jpg

3800498.t.jpg

3800505.t.jpg

I agree about the higher bridges bit. It lends something to the style of instrument and the playability....my EXPs are definitely different animals to my Sabre for example. He says, building a Sabre with a TOM :-D

The string tension over a TOM bridge lends a greater degree of string-to-body coupling, and some would extend that to say tone or sustain. It definitely adds solidity, that's for sure. Recessing is a perfectly valid build technique, and doesn't require much work - two Forstner'ed holes either side and a routed trench connecting them both. A 1/2" diameter router bit can drop an ABR-1 width bridge by 6-8mm over "normal mounting" before the adjustment screws foul the body. A Nashville TOM needs a little more - around the 15mm mark - which can be done purely by routing. Anyway. Enough of this technical malarkey.

Bolt-on shimming is a good point, but you're verging on opening that whole can of worms about neck to body coupling....I prefer to do the work in getting the neck angle right from the outset so the flat face of the heel has maximum contact area with the corresponding face of the pocket. Not always the simplest of things to work out and implement correctly in one attempt, but one worthwhile step nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ask about the inlays...did you do them yourself? The corners on the pyramids look almost as though they were started with a 2-3mm drill bit and then joined "dot to dot" to form the shapes. Other than that, it's a great build for sure! I do like neck-through guitars with TOM bridges :-D

I was going to ask the same question as I noticed on the last half of the inlays they have those round corners, which would lead me to the same guess that Prostheta mentioned, just wondering if someone selling pre-inlaid boards did that or not. Looks alright, on ebony it would probably be invisible, but maple shows the smallest of gaps so they are easily noticed. As already said though, great looking build, very clean, cool choices on woods, nice job all the way around. Really like the hardware choices for the woods used, really comes together really well. Should be a great player.Nice work. J