Scale Length

I was just planning my guitar with all the measurements and I was wondering does the scale length start from where the end of the bridge is to where the end of the nut it (where the strings leave the bridge and where the strings just meet the nut). any help is much appreciated
Hello Darksonic and welcome to PG.

Based on your questions, I think maybe a little study on your part may help you. This will then give you a better understanding of the processes in guitar building and allow you to formulate questions that can be answered in a manner befitting the question.

First may I suggest that you check out some of the tutorials on PGs site. As well as try the search function. An excellent book on this, is "Make your own electric guitar" , By Melvin Hiscock, who btw is a member here. Also check out the free info at Stewmac.com link

Hopefully then you will be able to understand that your questions now seem to be very open to subjective thinking as to wood types and also basic knowledge of guitar parts and there function. I hope this will help on the right path,

MK

I have to agree with Mikro, I could tell you that the scale length is the measurement from the nut to the 12th fret doubled, and on top of that you have to add for the compensation factor, which means that the string length is greater than the scale length.

Knowing the answer to a question is only half of the battle at most, understanding it is much better.

"Make your own electric guitar" , By Melvin Hiscock, is considered by many to be the bible of guitar building, so before you buy any materials you would be wise to buy it.

Edited by jaycee

Scale length is the vibrating length of the string

so the fretboard side of the nut to the fretboard side of the bridge saddle.

WRONG!!

Perry i'm glad your not a doctor, I guess your bedside manner would be something like, "Is it bad doc? Yup your gonna die!" :D

Edited by jaycee

Scale length is the vibrating length of the string

so the fretboard side of the nut to the fretboard side of the bridge saddle.

WRONG!!

Are you nit picking?

Care to give the right answer?

Bedside manner would be like Dr. House.

Vibrating string length (for guitars) is the wrong answer.

The correct answer was already stated by jaycee. Distance from nut to 12th fret times 2.

"nit picking"

The difference is that the distance from nut to saddle is scale length + compensation, not just scale length.

Edited by Mike Herr

The scale length for my 12 string is 635mm, when you add on the compensation factor the treble "E" string ends up 637.7mm in length, whilst the bass "E" string is 640.3mm. Even then, depending on the string gauge it may still need compensating, which is easier on an electric than it is on an acoustic.

• 3 weeks later...
I was just planning my guitar with all the measurements and I was wondering does the scale length start from where the end of the bridge is to where the end of the nut it (where the strings leave the bridge and where the strings just meet the nut). any help is much appreciated

the simple answer is yes. right where the nut meets the strings to where the strings leave the bridge is what you measure