Time For A New Router?

Mickguard

The bits are starting to slip on my router no matter how much I tighten the collar.

Is this something that can be remedied by replacing just the collar ? Is this an issue with the little adapter piece that fits into the shaft (to adapt the different bit shaft sizes)?

Or is it possible the shaft itself is dead --which I'm assuming will be more expensive to replace than buying a new router?

Obviously, it's impossible to route if the bit decides to go deeper than I want it to!

It's a Black and Decker....sure, I know, last time I buy anything from B&D....

The old I cheaped out on a router story..

I somehow doubt that the shaft is the problem. Check it and make sure there is no scoring around the edges where the collet seats. The same goes for the outer edge of the collet. Also if the shaft looks polished like the collet was spinning against it.

Pressure alone squeezes the collet as the nut is tightened. Check the nut and make sure the threads on this nut are not stripped. Make sure you are putting enough tension on the nut to tighten the collet, use two wrenches even if the router has a internal lock for one wrench use.

Depending on the type of chuck it is but if it's akin to the Makita - single large nut with a button on the back to lock the chuck when tightening - then it could just be metal collar that is inside the chuck that grips on the bit shaft when the nut is tightened.

If they are overtightened i.e. a collect slightly on small side or just tighten without a bit in if will basically bend the collar further than it should and then it will no longer grip the bit properly.

I know this from first hand experience! :D

Depending on the type of chuck it is but if it's akin to the Makita - single large nut with a button on the back to lock the chuck when tightening - then it could just be metal collar that is inside the chuck that grips on the bit shaft when the nut is tightened.

Yes, it has a button in the back -- I'll give replacing the collars a go, if I can find replacements at the store, of course...