Amp Footswitch. Interchangeable?

metallisomething

I seriously doubt you can use that same footswitch for both amps. Amp footswitches are rarely interchangeable. The only way to find out is to give it a try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't do anything. That is if the connections at the amp/cords required aren't totally different from eachother...

not to be brand specific.....hehe

here are the footswitches corresponding to each amp. The 1 on the vox is overdrive on/off and the 2 is tremolo on/off. both are stereo 1/4 jacks.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics.../0/1/251201.jpg

http://www.woodbrass.com/images//woodbrass/PEDL013.JPG

I would be wanting to use the Marshall footswitch with the Vox amp.

not to be brand specific.....hehe

here are the footswitches corresponding to each amp. The 1 on the vox is overdrive on/off and the 2 is tremolo on/off. both are stereo 1/4 jacks.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics.../0/1/251201.jpg

http://www.woodbrass.com/images//woodbrass/PEDL013.JPG

I would be wanting to use the Marshall footswitch with the Vox amp.

OK... so if you can find schematics for both units, then it can be determined beforehand if it's even possible to use the Marshall footswitch the way that you want to.

I agree with paul.

It is going to be tough to say what will happen as they can be wired the same, or totally different.

I am fairly sure with a little know how you could get it to work by rewiring it if it did not work out of the box. the trick would be a wiring scematic, or to actually have both pedals to take the vox apart and see the wiring and then clone it in the marshall.

At that point I would just build a new pedal if you have to rewire.

At that point I would just build a new pedal if you have to rewire.

Or just buy one. You'll probably spend just about as much in parts and shipping to make your own as you would just buying one already made for the amp. I do a lot of my own DIY stuff, but there are times when it just doesn't make sense economically to do some things...

put a TRS lead in the vox and make contacts to determine how it works.

use a multimeter to see what the marshall FS is doing, if they're both momentary or latching you should be able to adjust the marshall to suit if it won't work off the bat.

if not, swap out the switches for the correct type (mom. or latching). stomp switches (except 3PDT) are pretty cheep....

like i said, its easy to work how the amp switching and FS work....

5 mins with a multimeter is all it takes, they are very simple circuits...

you could easily add a battery to the marshall to get the leds to work which the vox FS doesnt have.

I can't find the schematics for those footswitches online. I guess it might be easier to buy the footswitch for the vox, its $35CAD, rather than trying to build my own.

Trust me, you wouldn't be able to build your own for any less than that. :D

I can't find the schematics for those footswitches online. I guess it might be easier to buy the footswitch for the vox, its $35CAD, rather than trying to build my own.

why is that?

I agree 35 is not much at all.

but 2 switches and a stereo cable. hmm.

why is that?

I agree 35 is not much at all.

but 2 switches and a stereo cable. hmm.

A decent metallic enclosure will be $10-15. Two heavy duty switches will be about $10. LEDs and bezels, another $3-4 depending on what type you use. If all you have is a RadioShack to get stuff from, you will not find what you need there, and all of this stuff will have to be mail ordered. Figure on at least $10 for shipping and handling that.

Grand total is estimated to be $39 for parts. Then you have to take a few hours to build it and work out any bugs.

I'm Mr. DIY, but sometimes it doesn't really make sense to build it yourself. This is one of those cases...

Edited by Paul Marossy