Scraper Edege Question

godzilla

When my Daddy died I acquired his scraper set. It is a Two Cherries set, rectangular, curved and gooseneck. I did some research, polished them up, got a burnishing tool and can turn a real nice hook on them. they have turned out to be a real go to tool for me. I am wondering what the life of the edge is for other PG'ers,I realize it is dependent on the amount of use, but they seem to dull quickly. I have been using them on hard wood, mostly maple, walnut and cherry. I'm just womdering what others milage might be and is there another brand that might be better. Thanks for any information.

Steve

I don't work consistantly enough to give a good estimate, but they don't last all that long, especially on tougher woods. Even when they dull though you still feel the hook. I pretty much sharpen shortly after losing the ability to get curls off the wood. If you feel you are having to sharpen too often you can try using less of an angle on the hook, which will give the hook some more strength, possibly last you longer. It also works well being able to adjust it as needed for different jobs, like cleaning up some rough wood or taking some final swipes at a top before finishing. What I read for scrapers is you can re-turn the hook on the scraper about three times before you should square the edges again on a file and start fresh, sometimes I do it after two, depends on how clean the edge is, meaning smooth or not. When I need to start fresh, I run it on a mill file until I get straight smooth edges, then I have an MDF board with various grits of sandpaper I use for sharpening all types of blades and I usually run from 800 to 1500 or 2000, then pull out the burnisher. Seems to work well. I'm sure there are others with better info for you, that is just my experience and what works well for me. Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

you can re-turn the hook on the scraper about three times before you should square the edges again on a file and start fresh,

+1 as long as it still cuts. You burnish the hook out towards the edge so it points straight down (or out) and then burnish it back up again.