Multi-scale String Gauges

I'm designing an 8-string multi-scale build and I'm trying to figure out a rational way of choosing string gauges so as to most evenly distribute tension. My scale length is 25.5"-28", and ideally I'd like to have tensions similar to a regular 25.5" scale across all strings. If I use something like a .010-.46 set, the tension will get too high at the lower strings before going more slack for the two extra bass strings.

Is there an online calculator out there that'll help with this? Otherwise, maybe someone who's been through this can help me out?

Thanks!

Hey Daniel,

My fanned fret baritone (tuned B to B ) with the same scale lengths, I've found a .013 - .056 works well. As a side note, the disparity in scale lengths is too extreme for most tastes, so I'm going to 25.75-27.75".

Hope this helps!

Edited by DC Ross

my 26.5-28" 6 string is being used with D'addario baritone sets... started with 13-62's - now its got 14-68's although i personal thought iit felt better with the lighter gauge

it is tuned A-E-A-D-F#-B, so like B-B with the low B drop tuned

You can use this applet to get a rough feel for string tensions: http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/StringTensionApplet.html. It's not 100% accurate, but close enough for general work. Many manufacturers publish string tension data, too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll muck around with that tension calculator a bit and see what I come up with. My thinking is to start with a .010 on the high E string, then for the remaining strings progressively use gauges that would be considered lighter until the low E, at which point I'll use a .058 and a .068 for the extra bass strings.

Here's a preview of the design I'm tinkering with:

3398517079_808a3e14ee_o.jpg