Finish Work

I'm really sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked a million times or that's really dumb. What should I know about puttys and fillers, especially to repair dings. I have a neck that has a ding in it and its not horrible, but I'd like to fill it before I paint it. Is there anything I should know about work on the neck? I remember in the tremolo to hard tail conversion that an epoxy based filler was used. Is it safe to use something similar on the neck?

I'm really sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked a million times or that's really dumb. What should I know about puttys and fillers, especially to repair dings. I have a neck that has a ding in it and its not horrible, but I'd like to fill it before I paint it. Is there anything I should know about work on the neck? I remember in the tremolo to hard tail conversion that an epoxy based filler was used. Is it safe to use something similar on the neck?

Depends on weather you are planning on painting it or not. I read in Melvyns guitar making book that you can wet a bit of tissue, put it over the ding and put a soldering iron on the wet tissue then the steam comes off and swells the wood up and makes the ding almost invisible... Aparently.

It depends on if the wood fibers are just pressed down making a divot or if they are torn and damaged. If it's just pressed down the steaming method works really well. I used a damp rag and a soldering iron and it came back like magic. But if that doesn't work I would use some sort of epoxy filler sanded flush. Just make sure you use good quality epoxy and let it dry a good long time before sanding and finishing it.