People Who Own Dimarizio Evolution, Evo2, Breed Or Fred... Id Like Som

mikke

Just got another idea... read from the "edit:" thing down this post if you dont wan

So somebody who owns one of those (and something that could be used to measure the copper wire's thickness), If some one of you wold be kind enough to measure the thickness of the copper wire(s) in the coils, Id like to know it. All those models propably have the wires a bit different for different frequency wariation, but... Id like to know the copper wires thickness of any of those. Note that as far as i know, the wires are different in both coils, so id like to know the thickness of both coils wires...

Please somebody? Id really like to know those things for the pickup plans I have in my head, creating the Right Sounding Pickup for Me an stuff.

Edit: Another way would be measuring te DC-resistance of another one of the coils... would be enough information for me about the pup

Edited by mikke

You won't find anyone willing to pull apart a perfectly good pickup to measure wire gauges! Howerver...a little research got me this...

Evolution Patent Summary

2. A transducer as in claim 1, in which said coil wires range in diameter between about 0.00078 inch and 0.00400 inch.

3. A transducer as in claim 2, in which the wire diameter of one of said coils is about 0.00249 inch, and the wire diameter of the other of said coils is about 0.00198 inch.

That said, wire gauge is only one element of a pickups structure and sound. DiMarzio is renown for patenting anything and everything (different wire winding is not a unique concept for instance) and pursuing it if you were considering marketing such a thing as a product. Winding your own won't necessarily give you the same thing either, or even close.

In order to wind pickups to get a sound or "plan in your head" you will need to take a fair bit of research and understanding of various pickup elements (inductance, magnet strengths and qualities, turns, coil matching, etc) and a fair number of attempts and comparisons.

Remember a lot of stuff that is "said" is mojo and hype as much as anything...you need to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Also, a lot more research and study of the elements that go into a successful design than emulating Mr DiMarzio might be in order...

2c...

pete

I can tell you that the DiMarzio FRED has a DC resistance of 10.07K and a resonant peak around 5.34kHz - I got the resonant peak info straight from the engineering dept at DiMarzio via email. Maybe you can work the numbers backwards to figure out what gage of wire to use?

They should have the DC resistances for all of their pickups listed at their website. They don't include the resonant peak info on their website because they say there is no standard for measuring that, so they don't publish it.

I can also tell you from looking at DiMarzios patent documents, that on their humbuckers, they use a different gage wire for each coil. DiMarzio claims that by using two different wire gages with the same amount of turns on each bobbin improves the 60 cycle humbucking while improving frequency response.

I hope that helps... :D

That said, wire gauge is only one element of a pickups structure and sound. DiMarzio is renown for patenting anything and everything (different wire winding is not a unique concept for instance) and pursuing it if you were considering marketing such a thing as a product. Winding your own won't necessarily give you the same thing either, or even close.

In order to wind pickups to get a sound or "plan in your head" you will need to take a fair bit of research and understanding of various pickup elements (inductance, magnet strengths and qualities, turns, coil matching, etc) and a fair number of attempts and comparisons.

pete

Yes Im aware that there are many things, like for example the fred and breed both use alnico 5 as their magnets, but evo and evo2 use ceramic magnets...

I can tell you that the DiMarzio FRED has a DC resistance of 10.07K and a resonant peak around 5.34kHz - I got the resonant peak info straight from the engineering dept at DiMarzio via email. Maybe you can work the numbers backwards to figure out what gage of wire to use?

They should have the DC resistances for all of their pickups listed at their website. They don't include the resonant peak info on their website because they say there is no standard for measuring that, so they don't publish it.

I can also tell you from looking at DiMarzios patent documents, that on their humbuckers, they use a different gage wire for each coil. DiMarzio claims that by using two different wire gages with the same amount of turns on each bobbin improves the 60 cycle humbucking while improving frequency response.

I hope that helps... :D

Yes I know about the different wire gauges..... However im surprised to hear that they told the resonant peak.

This info has been quite helpful....

Just noticed the breed dont use the dual-resonce coil patent....

You won't find anyone willing to pull apart a perfectly good pickup to measure wire gauges! Howerver...a little research got me this...

Evolution Patent Summary

2. A transducer as in claim 1, in which said coil wires range in diameter between about 0.00078 inch and 0.00400 inch.

3. A transducer as in claim 2, in which the wire diameter of one of said coils is about 0.00249 inch, and the wire diameter of the other of said coils is about 0.00198 inch.

pete

And btw, that same patent is used in every single dimarzio pickup that has dual-resonance....

so most likely the wire thicknessess in that are just examples for the patent stuf....

Yes I know about the different wire gauges..... However im surprised to hear that they told the resonant peak.

This info has been quite helpful....

Just noticed the breed dont use the dual-resonce coil patent....

They sent me back an email trying to blow me off, but I was persistent and wrote a second email to which they responded with the information I wanted. Yeah! :D