Masecraftsupply.com

These guys are amazing. I ordered some bone (for nuts and inlays) and buffalo horn(for knobs and bridges) and they sent me all kinds of stuff I didn't order. Some of it was synthetic, but perfect for picks. The rest was some really starnge stone and a block of "alternative ivory" (BTW, if anyone knows what that might be, I'd appreciate it. It's definitely some type of horn or tusk. It has the same smell and stomach turning effect that bone and ivory has).

On top of that, their prices are dirt cheap. Those black poles are buffalo horn. There's enough there to make a ton of knobs and they were only like $8 a piece.

I also got a catalog that was filled with some amazing inlays, binding, rosettes, etc.. I didn't see that stuff on their website, so I was thrilled to see that they sold it.

They're a small company, so I wanted to post this hear to hopefully get them some attention. Actually, I really just don't want them to go out of business because I plan on buying a ton of stuff from them<_< .

http://www.masecraftsupply.com/

I ordered the stuff on the left and the stuff on the right was thrown in the box for free:

img0139l.jpg

img0140y.jpg

Edited by NotYou

Did they mean to include the other stuff, like did you actually ask them whether it was a mistake or not?

I think they meant them to be samples. They wrote what each item was on the backs of it. The ones I actually bought didn't have any writing on them.

That big "ivory" block was a very pleasant surprise.

They are great people. They are well known for their giving of samples. Their MOP is top notch (search for my mustang ghuitar, that inlay is their pearl) and I have used countless amounts of their recon stone in inlay projects. I'm a BIG recon stone fan and no one has the selection that they do.

Chris

Care to take a wild guess as to who fender buys the black inlay blocks for the geddy lee jazz bass?

Yup- Masecraft. Make sure you get solid black though, and not the black "mop"

It's nice that they sent you samples. However I would compare that to the prices you paid for the Bone and hon first. Being a dealer in both gives me an insight ito wholesale costs.

Jantz supply is a similar company who only sells for the knife making industry, so some of the shell producs are not available. I have never received free samples though. Their pricing is good.

It's nice that they sent you samples. However I would compare that to the prices you paid for the Bone and hon first. Being a dealer in both gives me an insight ito wholesale costs.

That's what I thought was so great to begin with. Those small nut sized bone pieces were only a dollar. At Stew Mac, they're more than three times that (still not much, though). The buffalo horn slabs were around $3 each and the rods were $8. I haven't bought buffalo horn before, but that seems cheap.

BTW, I was amazed by how lightweight and smooth buffalo horn is. I was almost convinced it was plastic. I even took a lighter to one of the pieces just to be sure :D . It seems almost unreal. Even though it feels that light, it's incredibly durable. I still need to do some resonance tests before I use it for anything important, though.

Edited by NotYou

Masecraft are, or were, listed under the PG supplier section.

They are well known worldwide (i know the British Museum use them) for their synthetic alternatives to horn, tortoiseshell and ivory as well as thier recon stone. Are you sure the rods in your posted picture are animal horn, looks mighty like substitute as oppossed to natural horn to me and yes, it does smell as it's based on milk protein apparently - well, that's what they told me anyway.

By the way...I just noticed that the ivory is sized as if to cut Nut blanks from...so this is probably what they are intended for...I could probably make a dozen or more nuts if I were building fixed bridge guitars just from these samples...

I guess I should build some acoustics...or refret and re-nut my acoustic..