• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wip75.jpg

wip76.jpg

wip77.jpg

wip78.jpg

So I need a TRC and I just HAPPEN to have this piece of rosewood that was a cutoff from the end of the fretboard. What is a wood junkie to do? :D I reasw the bit, cut it to shape, and sand/buff it from 100 to 12,000. Presto: one rosewood TRC with grain matching the fretboard.

If you're asking why I made it so big, pic #3 in this post is why. When I was cutting the channel, which was my first, I made the end run right into the headstock. Rookie mistake - I had NO idea it would be that far out. Also, there was a slight mishap that I caught before it turned into a major disaster: I lost control of the board for a moment and nicked the face a bit. That's why the TRC is so wide. It all works out in the end.

wip79.jpg

And now we have a pickguard. :D

I'm using lacquer this time. I'm getting pretty high from it. Lacquer in an enclosed space... benefit... drawback... who's to say? I'm wiping it onto the neck instead of brushing. I want it nice & natural feeling while still having some protection. I'm not overly concerned about the neck getting darkened from use - It's a sign of a long-played instrument, not dirt.

I'd honestly have been tempted to thin the headstock down a bit, add a headplate to it to cover the ding, and make a smaller truss rod cover, but that actually doesn't look half bad. I love the look of walnut on a sleek build like this.

This thing is FAT. It really fills up my hand. I have huge hands, so that's not a bad thing. Before I sanded it down I felt it up quite a bit. I was nervous about taking off too much for fear of either going through the truss rod channel or making the bottom of the channel too thin. Again, it all works out because I have big hands, so a fat neck will work for me.

I think the fatness comes from the thickness of the fretboard....you could probably have taken 1/8" or maybe even 3/16" off there quite happily. I aim for around 4mm height on the side of the board after radiusing, although that's me aiming for Wizard-y thickness! :-D

+ on the calipers though. Best tool I have other than my rules.