Several New Builds.

I'm a busy man these days. I'm doing a 5 piece neck thru, maple/mahogony/wenge with mahogany wings and a maple top:

100_2500Medium.jpg

100_2509Medium.jpg

Two more 1 piece mahogony bodied guitars like the one I posted just a while back.

Plus one more (for me!) with a thick maple top, one piece mahogony neck and a ziricote fretboard. Unlike my last several, this one is definitely getting some color and a nitro finish.

I just haven't decided yet if I'm going to do my new single cut design, or stick to my double cut shape.....

100_2516Medium.jpg

100_2514Medium.jpg

All kinds of fun stuff going on! Wish me luck on getting them all finished.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Making a bit of progress here.

One of these is getting a mahogany body, curly maple neck, and a birdseye maple fretboard:

100_2535Medium.jpg

The birdseye on this board looks pretty sweet...the picture doesn't really do it justice.

(The neck itself is pretty sick too!)

100_2534Medium.jpg

And the one I'm building for myself....I said forget it on the single cut, I just don't like single cut guitars enough to build myself one. I'm sticking to the double cut shape, and that one is getting the ziricote fretboard there in front.

100_2537Medium.jpg

Neck-thru is coming along nicely:

100_2552Medium.jpg

Body wings:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/meta..._2528Medium.jpg

Top glued, surfaced and ready to go:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/meta..._2539Medium.jpg

Simple little set-up for hicknessing the headstock cap:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/meta..._2543Medium.jpg

Turning some offcuts into a rear cavity cover:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/meta..._2555Medium.jpg

The one I'm concentrating on first is the neck thru, the one with the flame maple cap. That one is getting a PRS style vibrato bridge, Seymour Duncan pickups (not sure yet the models), and Sperzel locking tuners. We had discussed doing an oil finish, but I might try to talk him into going ahead and doing lacquer. The top will be stained black, and I just want it to be glossy.

I drew it first on a big piece of paper, then I cut it out and traced in on a piece of MDF, and then I cut it out and sanded it smooth. That's about it.

Same method i use, nothing flash just take the time to get it right, no lumps, bumps etc. Nice and smooth like! I glue the paper to the mdf though, sand to the line and then belt sand the paper away. :D

BTW top work Metalhead!

The one I'm concentrating on first is the neck thru, the one with the flame maple cap. That one is getting a PRS style vibrato bridge, Seymour Duncan pickups (not sure yet the models), and Sperzel locking tuners. We had discussed doing an oil finish, but I might try to talk him into going ahead and doing lacquer. The top will be stained black, and I just want it to be glossy.

You don't have spray equipment right? So a wipe on poly or something else?

Actually I do have a compressor, and my buddy has a few spray guns and accessories - so I'll be spraying it.

I'm either going to be setting up a small area in my garage - or I might have access to a couple of better spots...we'll see how that pans out soon.

The guy has agreed that he'd like lacquer on this guitar so it looks like it's a go.

• 3 weeks later...