3-way Rotary Switch Supplier?

jpmarsh

I've been lurking here almost daily for months now. Great forum. Lots of good information. Unfortunately, I am better at woodworking than I am at electronics.

For my current project, I would like to use a 3-way rotary switch to keep the visual appearance of 3 knobs rather than 2 knobs and a switch. I've looked at several suppliers (mouser, others) and am not sure which I need for this application. Does anyone here use this type of switch and if so, where are you getting them from? I also am unsure how many pole positions I need.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you're just going for standard 3-way Gibson wiring, all you need is Single-pole. Double or four pole might be easier to find though, they'll work too.

It might be easier to go to 5-way PRS-style switching though, since 5-way 4-pole rotaries are available at most guitar parts places.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectron...W/wdu_hh5r11_01

It might be easier to go to 5-way PRS-style switching though, since 5-way 4-pole rotaries are available at most guitar parts places.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectron...W/wdu_hh5r11_01

I realize that the 5-way is the popular route but I'd rather not go that direction for this one. I know the 3-way are available and some builders use them but didn't know the pole requirements. I'll keep searching I guess.....

Off the top of my head, I'm not seeing how you could do Les Paul-style switching with a single pole rotary switch. I would look for something that's got a least two poles. Sometimes it's easier to find 3 or 4 pole switches, and they will work too (you just end up having unused poles). Pay attention to shaft length, diameter, and knurling (or lack thereof). Those factors will determine what kind of knobs you should use. You also want to make sure the switch isn't too deep or big around. I have a 6 pole 4 way rotary switch in my Strat-style guitar, and the cavity is just barely deep enough to accommodate. I had to rout the cavity walls a little to make it fit.

All that said, I use mostly 25mm Alpha brand switches when I need a rotary. They're cheap, reliable, and widely available. Mouser has a good selection of switches. Try p/n 105-SR2511F-33S if you're planning to use a set-screw knob.