New Build

cool thanks guys. So colourtone stains from stewmac are dye. Im wondering if the stuff i have are dyes or stains. I will go have a look. Ive previously just used coloured stains from a brand in oz called feast and watson. They do all types of timber finishings,stains,sealers,oils etc.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No real work of late so ive been playing with some shell and made the inlays for the headstock and fingerboard. Ive spent quite alot of time on these so far as i don't have a jewellers saw but only a set of small files.

Headstock route and inlays

44a.jpg

45a.jpg

and finished product

46a.jpg

I tried to get a good front on pic but the dang camera just would not focus. But angle it and it focuses. :D Well kinda, i think its the glare.

You will notice in the bottom corner of the C the shell has hit a layer and there is a blemish. Im bummed about it really but ive run out of shell so theres not much i can do but live with it. :D The shell was free by the way!

Lucky last shots for today is a couple teasers of the fretboard inlays. If you have read from the beginning of the thread the build is for my wife and she loves ancient egypt. So.......

52a.jpg

closeup

I started working on the big inlay in the middle yesterday an finished it this morning. Its abalone and maple. Ive never done anything like this before so if this is not a good combo please let me know. I just liked the maple for the skin tones. I figure i will have to finish the maple aswell. Maybe a couple of coats of sanding sealer? Started the small fingerboard hieroglyphics this arvo, just about finished with them and then i can start to slot the fretboard and rout those suckers in. Hopefully i can pull it off. Wish me luck! Nice piece of ebony hey?

Cheers Chad.

Thanks for the kind words gents!Really having a good time on this build. The mind is moving towards the finishing process now and im stumped on what i want to do. Im thinking natural or natural top with solid colour back or even a orange of some sort on the top so it kind of looks like a tiger. I might have to consult the boss on this one :D

Pestvic the body measures 59mm so not quite 3inches but fairly meaty. There is abit of carving that needs to take place on the back still and is likely the next step in the process once the neck is upto scratch. My builds so far have all started with an idea and a rough plan and then progress as i go. I know some on this forum usually have every element planned but im abit different. Plus this is all just fun for me so i like to keep my options open. So if anyone has any ideas for a finish on this puppy feel free to chime in!Please bear in mind the egyptian theme and im probably thinking more neutral earthy colours. :D

Now for some progress. This is where im at. Inlays routed and gluing. Obviously the fretboard is glued to the neck and slotted.

55a.jpg

56a.jpg

59a.jpg

Next is to sand the inlays flush, radius the fretboard, re-slot the fret slots to the finished depth and detail the inlays before i can fret this neck and rout it in to the body.

Cheers Chad.

• 9 months later...

Hey, had abit more time to work on this build recently. Just waiting on parts to arrive hopefully tomorrow and i can double check everything is lined up and finally finish this sucker off. Its starting to do my head in cause i havent had the money to buy parts to finish the rest of the steps. Being my first trem, i just really want to double check myself with all my measurements and such.

I also managed to skim 4.5mm of thickness off the back, so now its a finish thickness of 54.5mm. Doesn't look nowhere near as solid from the side and ive got the total weight at this stage under 3kg's. :D 2.956kg roughly. So im hoping for a finish weight under 4kg's, which is a around 8.5 pounds.

So today i got the switch slot routed, finally nailed down the controls to 2V,1T, 3way lever and 2 push/pulls for coil split and series/parallel option. Also routed for the control cavity cover and made a cover out of some black acrylic plastic. Started making a template for the trem cover route so ill finish that tomorrow. Getting closer to that home stretch now!

Front shot

91a.jpg

Back shot, i know a few people mentioned a body inlay, well i made this "eye of horus" for the body before i left on my trip, both myself and my wife didnt really like it on the front so instead of waste it, i thought it would be a nice touch on the back of the headstock.

85a.jpg

Neck finished shaped, its 21.5mm at the first fret and tapers to 24.5mm at the heel. Im really happy with the feel of this neck, i had a comment on my last guitar that the neck felt bulky, i actually prefer a fat neck and once your used to it they're actually really comfortable, but i wanted to make it a better all rounder so when someone picks it up for a play they like the feel from the get go.

89a.jpg

88a.jpg

Switch mounting

87a.jpg

Ill try get a couple of mockup shots tomorrow if the parts come. :D

Hey Chops, glad to see did the opposite of stuff it up, now it's even phatter B)

Haha true,....well thinner so to speak B) I would have put up a mockup shot but it seems my parcel has vanished! DHL handed it over to Australia Post and neither of them know where it is :D :D Ill try get down to the bottom of it today.

Tracked down that parcel. Here are a couple of mockups. The p/up rings are gold but look a bit washed out due to the light. Someone mentioned gold with the eygptian theme which i though was a good idea, gold frets would have really made it i reckon. I think once the p/ups go in it will bring this to life, looks abit strange without them. They will be just stock standard black h/b's.

93a.jpg

94a.jpg

95a.jpg

BTW the switch will have either gold screws or black, just need to source them.What do ya's think?

Ok, well i have hit my first little speed bump. :D Ive popped the trem in the guitar, being held in with the springs on the back and ive strung up both the E string's to line things up. Haven't drilled the post holes yet as i was checking everything is lining up. All sweet for the lineup, but the action is at 1.75mm with the trem at its lowest setting, so basically i have no more adjustment to lower the action. I put a straight edge down the neck and its straight and the truss rod is nipped up. The neck is clamped and yet to be glued so i have 2 options, well 3 that come to mind.

Option 1 being to give the heel some neck angle.

Option 2 Sink the trem.

Option 3 Do both?

If theres anything ive missed could someone chime in as Im not sure which way to go. I don't think it would matter if there was some neck angle, which would be easiest, but if anyone has any input or advice that would be much appreciated. I wanna get the neck glued in tomorrow as ive got the day off work.

Thanks,

Chad.

• 3 weeks later...

Abit of an update. Angled the heel a little and sorted the action issue. Neck glued in awhile ago really, haven't updated in ages. Started the finishing process, neck has one coat of tung oil, i love that stuff,wipe on with a rag and it sets hard in no time. I got the satin finish tung oil and it feels silky smooth. Ive also started to shoot clear today, picked a **** of a day really, no wind dead quiet...and then a gust and i have to run back inside the shed for cover. Had a small mishap with a stray hair and then a piece of newspaper :D so i had to abort spraying the top and focus on the sides, back and headstock. Never mind will scuff sand them out and continue on.

So to finish this sucker, i sprayed the back and sides a nice solid chocolate brown, which is very close to the dark streaks in the grain of the teak. I didn't keep the back natural because i felt it would look to busy with the top. The top and headstock got a slight burst to marry the front and back of the guitar, sprayed directly onto the timber with some walnut and a drop of black stain and then sealed with John's favourite, shellac, to lock the colour in.

A couple of pics of what its looking like, everyone says this but the colour doesn't look quite the same in the photo's but the shot of the headstock is probably the closest representation.

103a.jpg

105a.jpg

Cheese! You can make me out grinning in this shot.

107a.jpg

Im really impressed with this finish, on the edges where the build is thick it is like a sheet of glass. The fella at the paint shop said he would highly doubt if i need to level sand and buff with this stuff, i was skeptical but maybe not, time will tell.

Level sand and buff for sure! Wow....look at the inside of that control cavity....is that just clear, or tinted clear?

Yeah, level sand and another clear coat if necessary....you'll get a REAL glassy look on the back and perhaps you'll look a little less wibbly in the next back shot ;-)

The headstock looks a beautiful tobacco, which reminds me a lot of an old Washburn MG70 I used to own....that had a really fantastic colouration which I always thought would look great on a carved top like an LP - so here I have it! I hear what you're saying though....some photos have a habit of pulling a nice sunburst apart and making it look too "seperate" and reddish. I'm sure that's a camera compensation thing as I recall that red seems to confuzzle them sometimes. I'm no expert.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i wish i was coming to you guys with some finished pics of this guitar, but ive had a few setbacks. I had a rub through to the coloured burst on the first attempt when i was sanding away that newspaper. So i stripped the top and started from scratch. Today i was level sanding the second attempt and hit colour again :D. It's fair to say im trying to keep the finish thin, but this is the first time ive used this 2k stuff and its not going on as thick as ive heard it can. I pretty much wanted to chuck the whole thing in the bin this arvo, but ive got to look on the bright side, im getting plenty of practice at bursting and spraying clear and refining my techniques...or something like that.

Chad.