New Build

sanding a finish off & starting again is character building - everyone should have to go thru it at least once in their building life. it make u appreciate it more when u get it right!

my 1st guitar (sg too) my wife knocked it over within 1hr of me finishing it & getting it set up to play.... put a 6in pressure dent across the front of the body..... took me 10 years nearly to get round to refinishing it.... been on going for another 10 years now lol......

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the words of support fellas. I was trying to do the old blend with dyes and stuff yesterday but its just not the same. I will strip it down and start from scratch and not level sand until twice as many coats.

Kill - Yeah im using a gun, this stuff doesn't flash off it just goes sticky and then hardens so i had a few issues with runs. I mix 100ml and it goes along way. 2-3 passes around the entire body but as i hang it up to dry the finish sags where its too thick creating runs. Ill get there, just sussing the stuff out.

Neno- thanks!

Restor- Yeah patience is the key, this build has been going so long in my head, that i just want to get it done to move onto other projects i got. I went travelling for six months which also sucked alot of funds for parts etc slowing me down enormously. Goodluck with your strip back i hope it works for you B)

Supple- That sucks buddy, how did you ever forgive her :D I can imagine how you felt at that moment to, that empty feeling of anger and pain in your stomach. I was being so careful sanding real slow wiping and checking everywhere i was sanding and then boom! Ive invested alot of time and love into this build so i just want to get it right. If i get another rub through though its on the fire Drak style :D

Chad.

• 3 weeks later...

Well sixth times the charm :D Ive got the guitar to how i want it. The burst is a little more subtle than the first attempt, but it is technically how i envisioned it.

Im up to 6 passes on the front in 2 different spraying sessions now and its going good. Im interested though, is a "coat" classed as one pass or a double pass? I know with nitro i do 2 full double pass coats a session and level sand after 4 session's. The last 2 coats are sprayed in a final session. This according to the Stew mac finishing book is classed as 10 coats in 5 sessions.

So with 6 single passes of 2k, is that classed as 6 coats or 3? I'm just curious as i really don't feel like another rub through if i level sand now and i've read that 6 coats is all you need with 2k. Some advice from the peeps that use 2k would be nice, should i scuff sand again and spray another 3 pass session before i level and do the final pass?

A couple of shots of the second session curing

111a.jpg

112a.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Thanks guys, the finishing process has tested me on this guitar, this is the sixth attempt to get to where i'm happy. Not all were sandthrough though, some i was just plain not happy with the burst, but im glad i persevered. I've had plenty of bursting practice and refined my steps in finishing. I've learnt a lot which im grateful for.

Any bites on those 2k questions? Drak, Kill, anyone...???

:D

Looks good!

A coat on the guitar forum seems to be defined as a layer of paint/clear. You can have a thick coat, or a thin coat. A thin coat can range from a barely visible misting to a visible coat. A thick coat can range from a visible coat to a droopy sloppy mess. Either way, I'm pretty sure that a coat is just a layer of paint/clear that melds into itself. If you wait a bit and then spray again, I'd call that another coat. I think its all subjective.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good day in the shed today. Got the frets dressed and shiny as all hell, i used a dremel with a mini buffing wheel and some metal polish and it blew me away how shiny they have come up. I usually just use elbow grease with the metal polish but this is a million times quicker,easier and better. I also got the body buffed out and started assembling a little bit of the hardware. Just need to give the neck a couple more coats of tung oil to finish the finishing.

Some pics from the iphone

115a.jpg

116a.jpg

117a.jpg

119a.jpg

Here's a question. I had some of the clear chip out on the upper horn right near the strap pin, can you drop fill 2k poly? I understand it won't blend into previous coats but it should fill the chip, then i can level and buff it back. Thoughts?

I should finally have this thing wrapped up in the next couple of days. :D

Here's a question. I had some of the clear chip out on the upper horn right near the strap pin, can you drop fill 2k poly? I understand it won't blend into previous coats but it should fill the chip, then i can level and buff it back. Thoughts?

Oh that guitar is looking stunning, you know that finish is just fantastic, awesome job. If you do the chip fill and buff back carefully the margin should be hardly noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had this one done for a week now, well almost, i need to fit the trem spring cover and im going to partly dismantle it for swirl removing by hand and then its done ;P These are just some shots to post on PG to show you guys. Mind the fingerprints i have hardly put it down.

Im still getting used to the sound, im finding the open coil p/up's have alot of bite(presence if you will) than what im used to, but that is fixed on the amp eq and the vol and tone on the guitar. Im running irongear p/ups, a rolling mill in the neck and a hot slag in the bridge. I love the crunch from the hot slag, its beautiful... but the rolling mill i feel could be fatter. Sustain is overall quite good but theres a couple notes on the fretboard around the 12th fret that seem to fade fast, i think the 12th fret g on the g string and there was another nearby. It makes me wonder why that is? The 12th fret low E sustains longer than any note ive played on any guitar... go figure :D

Anyhow some pics...excuse some of the angles on the photo's. When i uploaded them on photobucket this is how they appeared, you can rotate them before you upload, but i missed the boat.

123a.jpg

124a.jpg

125a.jpg

127a.jpg

The back...

128a.jpg

This photo should have been horizontal

129a.jpg

Same here, maybe just tilt ya head to the side :D

130a.jpg

131a.jpg

I have never setup a floating trem before thats why i haven't fitted the cover, just want to make sure its all good.

And neck...

Grain matched truss rod cover, its hard to tell the detail in this pic

126a.jpg

The eye of horus inlay was not my finest hour, i had only recently arrived from six months holiday without a tool in my hand and it was inlayed freehand. Its not bad but its abit rough. :D

132a.jpg

A closeup of the sheoak in the neck, a little like lacewood. I would guess they could be close relatives.

133a.jpg

Well, There you have it. If you've followed the build i hoped you've enjoyed it :D

Chad.

Chad,

I've followed this build for about 15 months now and I have absolutely loved it. The guitar is beautiful especially the top. I always admired the way you chose the pieces of that teak board to get the resulting grain pattern and the finish is amazing. Kudos for sticking with the finish till it looked just the way you wanted it to.

Outstanding job man!

SR

And neck...

Grain matched truss rod cover, its hard to tell the detail in this pic

126a.jpg

The eye of horus inlay was not my finest hour, i had only recently arrived from six months holiday without a tool in my hand and it was inlayed freehand. Its not bad but its abit rough. :D

132a.jpg

A closeup of the sheoak in the neck, a little like lacewood. I would guess they could be close relatives.

133a.jpg

Well, There you have it. If you've followed the build i hoped you've enjoyed it :D

Chad.

I have and I did ! GREAT !!! work .

Wow !! What a beautiful guitar !!

I love this build: great original shape, graceful top and back carving and very well balanced design. Only the 12th fret inlay is a bit too big for my taste, but the implementation is superb. I miss the top inlay, I like inlaid tops :D ....

I see you put it up for GOTM, I'm definitely voting for this one. :D