Question On Sanding Neck For Refin

I'm working with a friend on a total guitar overhaul (stripping, refinishing and upgraded parts...topic coming soon). There are some shallow dings in the neck that I'm steaming and sanding out. After that it's gonna need a new layer of laquer...Now here's the stupid question: how far should I sand down the neck? In other words: do I have to strip the entire old coat (and how do I know that I'm through all the way).

What kind of wood is the neck made from?

Usually when you're sanding the finish, you'll get white powder on the sandpaper (if you're just sanding clear coat) or sawdust the color of the wood when you get through to the underlying wood. Also, the wood will start to look like a lighter color when you get through the clear and into the wood.

But you don't necessarily need to go all the way down to wood - normally, just raise and sand the dings (as you're doing) and the ones that don't sand out, just fill with clear epoxy. Then just rough up the entire surface with 320 or 400 grit paper, and start shooting your clear coat.

The only reason for going all the way down to bare wood is if you want to use an oil finish.

It's a Jackson Randy Rhoads we found in the trash. It's an RR4. I can't really find any info on the model online anymore, since it was mainly produced during the 90s. I'm guessing, from what I know from Jackson, that it would be Alder body and maple neck. Anybody got any additional info?

Definitely a maple neck. Jackson has used poplar, alder, and basswood for their guitars as staples. So it could be any 3. Search for the Jackson Catalog scans, and look through the 90's imports catalog, you can find a little more info. Knowing Jackson, I would be that it is a poly finish on the neck, but there is the off chance that is it and oil based finish. Just be carefull with the new finish, and watch for any compatability issues if you leave any of the original finish. Being a maple neck, the sanding dust is always goign to look whitish, wether you are in the finish or the wood. But once you hit wood, it will look quite a bit brighter.